Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-07-02, 07:23 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Factory O/H or Millenium

Seems like I've read or heard lately about a discount program underway with either Millenium or Continental on engine overhauls. Can anyone provide correct info?

The way I remember reading it was that the current discount program put factory O/H's (or Millenium or whoever it was) fairly close to other common O/H jobs. But I can't remember the details....
Unread 10-07-02, 08:24 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
ReMans

www.factoryengines.com shows the cost of a Reman Cont io360 as $21,287.
Here's the real deal. If you have someone do a complete overhaul of your engine, and it has a non-VAR crank, you have to buy one. When they overhaul the engine it is listed as 0 SMOH. If you buy a reman it is listed as 0 SFREM. The later improves the value of your aircraft. I was quoted, at OSH, in 2001, 18,500-20000 for overhaul. Assuming I didn't have the VAR crank. If the VAR crank is an issue, add 5K to the price.
Also, they may or may not have a warranty with their overhaul. Continental has a warranty. It is generally better than what I saw in 2001 for warranty for overhaul.
If you buy the ReMan, you get factory almost new engine, for slightly less than factory new. Only the factory can call it a ReMan. for every other shop, it becomes an overhaul.
Also, when they overhaul your engine, the engine comes out, goes away, and comes back. When you get the reman, it comes in, they do an engine swap, you're back in the air.
Some places tell you they got the best cylinders, and they may, but most of them don't make cylinders for the IO360.
Figure a week of downtime for the swap. I think the time to do an overhaul is 2-4 weeks, depending on how busy they are. So a few days to take it out, a couple of weeks to get it done, and a few days to put it back in.
It takes a while to get an engine in, in my case the reman was on order for more than a month, but once it came in, it was pretty quick to get if flying again.
Someone from Europe was asking about engines, and I am afraid I was short with him. I'll never be short with anyone again....
Now, if you are in Europe, I don't know any of the logistics involved in getting a reman. But, based on the comments of the guy in France, he has to deal with the VAR crank as well.
Also, if you are looking at a replacement because the mech says yours is junk, the time savings probably isn't valid.
That's the scoop. As much as I know, and then some.
Oh, when they do the swap, it comes with a lot of new parts, and you should plan on buying more new parts.
It ain't cheap, by any means, but my SFREM is going strong, and I've flown about 200 hours since last annual.
Unread 10-07-02, 10:26 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
For the turbocharged/pressurized airplanes, don't forget the cost of overhauling or replacing all the accessories as well. Turbo, governor, turbo controller, waste gate, exhaust, engine mounts, prop, etc etc. The only thing that comes with the engine is the alternator. Seems to me it was about 5K per engine for my P337 engines. Course if you have a normally aspirated engine, this cost is not nearly as much.

Kevin
Unread 10-08-02, 02:46 PM

Paul Sharp is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for the inputs. I'll pass them along to my friend who asked about this.