Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-01-02, 04:04 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Smile Hmmmm... what you think your are Columbis.. this ain't no pinto... in a foreign place

I got a real interesting reply at home... why they won't post it on the board is byond me... but, anyway... it makes for interesting reading... as the person says... he now just got a 337 skymaster and was interested in starting to travel and go places with it... OK... sounds good to me... they did make them so that they would go and come... without shucking parts en all.... hopefully...

But, what this person brings up... as I read between the lines is something that I don't think we have discussed before on the board... and that is ....

TRAVELING.. WITH YOUR PLANE....

Here he brought up a question... what happens if it breaks... what about getting to and from the airport once you get their... and what do you do if you get back to the plane and its dead... (ya larry that is one for you to answer).... just what he ment by dead.. only the imagination can comprehend... but, I think he means it won't start...

And what about camping... hey now here is a whole new area... besides the hilton or ritz... what do you take along... and how do you care for the plane... hmmmmm... well take a big blanket and tuck it in at night... read a wana be jet story to it... smile..

On a serious note though he was asking some pretty good questions... and I think it might be a area that we all should cover... after all his biggest fear was that the plane go down and where to go to survival school.... ahhhh... welll last time I checked in the US... and with two engines... their are lots of airports and roads going all over the place... I would think one of them might not fall off the cliff of the globe... but, then again I wonder if columbis or lindy had these thoughts too... when they started out ... maybe that is why people want the meetings in their back yard... heaven forbid that they don't trust their 337 to make the trip... Hmmmm... so what say yee.... got any help for this young adventurerrr....

how would you list your biggest fear of traveling with your plane... wx, fuel, engines, airframe, electronics... or just plane bad day... Hmmmmm....

G.M>GMAs
Unread 10-01-02, 05:27 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Take along toolkit

GMAs,

My experience away from home base the other day with the fuel running down the side is one of those unexpected events... but having along the right tools certainly helped on that day.

Sometime back I went to Sears and bought one of their compact canvas toolbags and loaded it up with things like a roll of safety wire, a roll of duck tape, a stubby set of wrenches, a roller-ratchet screwdriver with extra tips, a mirror with extendable handle, needle nose pliers, side cutters, a pair of pliers, a sparkplug socket with 3/8 drive, a complete 6-pt 1/4 inch socket set with ratchet and a set of deep sockets, a Hex key set, a telescoping magnet, an adjustable vice-grip, an 'Old Timer' knife, and a few other items like a wire crimper-stripper, tie-straps, and a VOM multimeter. It all fits nicely either under the rear seat or in the back next to the fifth seat where I also keep a couple of wool blankets in plastic, a first aid kit and a couple of quarts of oil and a spout, and a package of shop rags. I need to add a pair of safety wire twisters as those can make your day! You just never know what you'll need to fix something out 'on the road'. I also keep a spare set of GE 327 bulbs for the post lights on hand in the map compartment, and I do need to add a couple of pre-gapped spark plugs to my kit and a bottle of thread lubricant.

Maybe others can improve on what I've already listed, but I think these items are pretty basic.

In the case of my "Blue" gas shower, the roller-ratchet screwdriver, sidecutters and 5/8" socket came in real handy to remove the lower inspection panel and remove the fuel strainer plug so we could bleed-off my topped tank into those 5-gallon plastic gas cans.

SkyKing
Unread 10-01-02, 05:58 PM

Eustacio-Chachi is an unknown quantity at this point
GMAs, with today´s communications the first thing that I would take with me is a cellular phone. Chachi
Unread 10-01-02, 09:29 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Unhappy oH... what a nightmare.... I had

The sacariest 7 day trip I had with mine was when I forgot... forgot.. my took kit..yep went off and left it on the work bench... flew the whole trip... thinking that I should buy another one from sears... kept me awake at night in the motel room... thinking I just know I was going to need it... got back and slept like a baby... guess even mechanics worry too much huh.... but, you know what.. another pilot on the way had problems... I never did... and we found that we could scroung around and find people with tools... so carrying one is not that big of a deal... even found one mechanic who helped out... and never ask for anything... knowing how mechanics are starving... most of the time I gave him a bill for all the help he did... even gave us his car to go to town and get parts... so their is always someone.. out their just like here at our field to help... its usually not the money that does it... its the helping nature of the person... if your conserned about breakdowns... always fly with another plane of the same kind... or type... that way you have even more redunduncy... and besides its more fun to go in a group... except when your a mechanic... its like being a lawyer or doctor... you always have that... hey I have been meaning to ask.... question... all the time.. on this trip I tried to keep quiet... but, someone pointed me out and it was two days of hearing confessions.... as I call them... before things got back to normal... smile G.M> GMAs... whos next with advise... come on now bob I know you have some too... but, what about the campers... any takers out their....???
Unread 10-03-02, 12:55 AM

OSCARDEUCE is an unknown quantity at this point
Remember the rule of 3's
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

everything can be fixed with a safety pin a foley catheter and aspirin.
Tom