Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-25-04, 11:42 PM

Richard is an unknown quantity at this point
Batteries, an alternative

I've seen it done...... Two 12 V dry cell batteries in the stock Skymaster battery box.

"Dry as in no liquid. Can be discharged 100% up to 400 times without harming the batteries. Lasts 5-8 years. 680 cranking amps and 16ah life. Plane approved, military approved."

I'll see if I can get some pictures next time I see it.

Last edited by Richard : 02-29-04 at 04:24 AM.
Unread 02-26-04, 08:47 PM

Phildan is an unknown quantity at this point
I'll definitely look forward to that. As a nebie to the whole flying thing, would a change in standard battery require an STC?
Unread 02-27-04, 02:12 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
No it wouldn't require an STC, but it is a major alteration. If you could provide the local FAA office with another planes FAA Form 337 to show where it has been done before, it may get field approved by the FAA Airworthiness Inspector.
Unread 02-27-04, 10:14 AM

So what IS a nebie ANYway?!?! DUH!!!
Unread 02-27-04, 03:16 PM
Keven

I've gotta see this

Richard:

I'm looking forward to those pics!

What does everyone else think? Drawbacks? Issues with FDSOs? Anything?

Keven
________
Easy Vape""

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:06 PM.
Unread 02-28-04, 03:46 AM

I recall a member on this board that had the two 12V in their plane and was going to get me pics too. Hint hint.

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/specs.htm
Unread 02-28-04, 04:38 PM

Looks to me, after checking out the Odyssey site above, like the Concorde listed at the site below is the same technology but apparently more expensive. Agree or disagree?

http://www.chiefaircraft.com/cgi-bin.../Aircraft.html
Unread 02-28-04, 11:36 PM

Odyssey:

ODYSSEY is NOT a gel cell. It is an absorbed electrolyte type battery, meaning that there is no free acid inside the battery; all of the acid is kept absorbed in the glass mat separators. These separators serve to keep the positive and negative plates apart.

The key difference between the gel cell and the absorbed glass mat (AGM) cell lies in the fact that in the AGM cell all of the electrolyte is in the separator, whereas in the gel cell the acid is within the cells in a gel form. In fact, if the ODYSSEY battery were to split open, there would be no acid spillage!

And...

Because the ODYSSEY® has no free acid inside the battery, it is covered under the US Department of Transportation (USDOT) unregulated "wet nonspillable wet electric storage batteries" classification and International Air Transport Association (IATA) "unrestricted" air shipments categories. These batteries may be shipped completely worry-free. Supporting documentation is readily available.

Concorde:

Innovative design gives these batteries full aerobatic capability and operability in any position. Electrolyte is absorbed & immobilized in microfibrous glass matt separators, eliminating leakage and plate fatigue from vibration. Construction allows for recombination of hydrogen and oxygen created in the charge cycle, eliminating explosive gasses, corrosive fumes, and the need for routine maintenance. Replaces Manifolded & Gel Batteries.

Seems the same to me but could easily be missing something. They both look like a good idea, but following the very real possibility of me having missed something the Odyssey may very well be better. Would like to know before I need a new battery so maybe someone could enlighten me?!?!
Unread 02-29-04, 04:20 AM

I don't know if they are any good. Just what others have said. The lead acid ones seem fine as long as you get a charge to them at least once every 2 weeks. In the documentation I read that the Odessey batteries hold their charge for 2 years. I'd like to see a lead acid even come close. Somebody give it a try and see what the results are.
Unread 03-02-04, 10:55 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Don't see anything on their web site about being FAA/PMA approved. I have seen them used in a Glassair 3, didn't work real good.
Kim
Unread 03-03-04, 05:22 PM
Peyton

Peyton is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Guys - In July 2001 I installed a Concorde sealed battery part # RG24-15 which was STC'd for my 1967 Skymaster. It was purchased from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty Co (877-477-7823) for $237.95 including freight.

This battey has more cranking amps and turns the engine over noticeably faster than the conventional wet battery ever did. No water to add, less corrosion and post deterioration due to loose acids, and no special charging requirements prior to installing or during operation. Just be sure your aircraft voltage regulators are set to charge at about the right rate. I made no changes to mine.

I was concerned about what the months of service might be in comparision to the 24 to 36 months which I have typically gotten from my wet cell batteries. I am now at 30 months and while cranking power has deteriorated slightly, I think it is still better than the wet cells were even when new.

I am very pleased with this battery and will install another when the existing battery has to be replaced.

Hope this helps.

FLY SAFE !!
Unread 03-03-04, 09:18 PM
Keven

Aircraft Spruce

My bird is in annual, and I just bought the same battery that Peyton has (upon his express warranties of me being perfectly satisfied with all components of the battery and service life ). I ended up buying it from Aircraft Spruce after checking prices from multiple sources. Aircraft Spruce was anywhere from $5 to $100 cheaper than the other shops (including all shipping, handling, insurance, freight, tags, taxes, etc. than everyone else). Aircraft Spruce is now up to $259 for the battery including all of the above charges.

I'll let you know if my reliance upon Peyton's representations and warranties were well-founded or not. Peyton, who's your registered agent for service of process?

Blue skies . . . .

Keven
________
red headed Webcams

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:07 PM.
Unread 03-03-04, 10:38 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
This could be the world's first case of "Electric Barristering"... or is that "Eclectic...?
Unread 12-29-12, 07:15 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
I went out to fly my aircraft last weekend and had trouble cranking over the engines. I was able to get the front engine started, but not the rear. There wasn't enough juice in the battery, so my annual is next month and I was looking at replacing the battery since it's coming up on 5 years. I have a Gill 242 wet battery, but they now make a Gill 242S sealed battery and it looks like the 337 is listed. But I would like to know if anyone is using the sealed battery now, does it require paperwork, or is it a direct replacement?

Karl
Unread 12-30-12, 08:40 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Concorde Recombinant Gas has worked for me over the last 15 or so years. I have gotten 4-5 years out of them. Highly recommend, direct replacement

http://www.concordebattery.com/aag3.php?id=885

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years

Last edited by hharney : 12-30-12 at 08:44 PM.