Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 12-12-17, 10:48 PM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Talking

Hi TC

During my ground up restoration, we removed every hydraulic component and flexible line.

The main gear actuators were the last to overhaul as I waited until the plane was assembled and on jacks. The actuators are fairly straight forward to remove once you have access after taking off all those floor panels. Being careful it took me 2hours to removed both. Removing some of the hydraulic piping helped (as per SM), also make sure you take off the plastic cap, they just clip in.

Once out we dissasembled, cleaned, inpsected, conducted a die penetrant test and then reassembled with new seals and packers. All up the cost of seals for both actuators was approx $20, labour well that is a different story.

At the same time we did the main uplock and down locks, again about $25 in seals and a few hours labour.

In essence during the project we rebuilt every hydraulic component in the plane and replaced every flexible hose. Which I would strongly recommend if they have not been done in recent years, I bought a kit from PHT.

When it comes to the gear, a bit of PM and some $$ is good peice of mind. Also I open the doors regulary to look around the gear.

With any luck I will get a bit of stooging around in mine next week, I will time the cycles and let you know.

Dave