Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-04-04, 08:10 PM

DHatfield is an unknown quantity at this point
GAMI field trip

Could someone that traveled to Ada from the Oklahoma City meeting report on how it went? I couldn't go due to potential weather issues on my trip home, but I am very curious as to how worthwhile it was and what if anything the GAMI people had to say about operating our (TS)IO-360s.

Thanks,

David

Last edited by DHatfield : 05-04-04 at 08:13 PM.
Unread 05-06-04, 07:16 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
gami

Dave, Paul Rooy gave an account of the trip to Gami. See his comments under the MEETING COMMENTS.

Cheers and Regards
Jerry
Unread 05-06-04, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Let me add to what Paul has reported on. As some of you know I have been a skeptic about running lean of peak ("LOP") for the average pilot, believing that it is better suited for the technically savvy pilot with an engine analyzer and the willingness to pay exhaustive attention to engine parameters in flight. Nevertheless, I was very impressed with GAMI's presentations. Basically, the engineering data supports GAMI's contention, not only that you can substantially reduce fuel consumption, but that the engine operating parameters (e.g., exhaust valve temp) at LOP are more benign and should result in longer-lasting engines. I was also very impressed with the ignition system being developed to allow lead-free, lower octane fuel to be used in our engines.

In the weeks ahead I hope to get a hold of some of the data presented and chew on it some more. Meantime, I still feel that the average pilot, particularly one with an engine under warranty, is better served by operating per the aircraft POH (i.e., 75-100 degrees rich of lean). But I will report further on this subject if circumstances change.

Ernie
Unread 05-07-04, 09:18 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
GAMI

Keep us posted, Ernie. I too am a skeptic - especially for normally aspirated engines.