Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-23-03, 11:57 AM

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Skymaster or Adam 500?

I've been flying my 79P for 14 years and it fits me like a glove. It's in perfect condition and there's almost nothing I find wrong with it, except for the rare times I have more than two other people with me.

Over a year ago, I plunked down a deposit for an Adam A-500, and have an early delivery position at a great price. I am more interested in keeping my Skymaster, so I'd like to know if anyone out there is thinking about the Adam. I've spoken to them and they'll let me work something out with someone I find who would take over my slot.

Just can't let go of the old bird.
Unread 06-23-03, 08:39 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re adams

MikeZ

You probably would get more takers on the 337 <G>. I rather doubt you will find a "taker" that owns a 337 as they are much like you....... " It fits like a glove"

I sure wouldn't trade !

just a passing comment.

Bob
Unread 06-25-03, 10:07 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Talking .....sooneth part company

Mike,

I'm surprised... don't you remember the old phrase, "A fool and his money sooneth part company?"

My, my.... such a waste. You'd been better off buying a slot for a Riley SuperSkyRocket!

SkyKing
Unread 06-25-03, 10:39 PM

MikeZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Misplaced quote you cite

Actually, despite my decision, I think the Adam is a phenominal aircraft. A close friend who also has a deposit flew the demo plane and says that it is smooth, powerful, well designed, and a joy to fly. I've seen it up close and I agree. That still does not make it right for me and my mission profile, and I don't regret taking the refundable option to hold a delivery position. If I don't find a party who wants to take advantage of my early delivery position, then I'm confident that Rick Adam will stand behind his commitments. He certainly appears to me a person of integrity whose put his own money behind an innovative aviation company that builds on the Skymaster's merits. Rick used to own a Skymaster himself. mz
Unread 06-26-03, 07:11 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
adam aircraft

MikeZ

Choosing an aircraft is based on individual needs (mission profile). I am sure the ADAM has the latest technology and will perform as advertised. I had the pleasure of meeting the Rick during the intial planning. Yes, he owned a skymaster and wanted something better. It only supports the concept of in-line thrust.

The skymaster happens to be "proven technology" whereas the Adam must prove it's worth.

There is a lot of change going on with power plants. If I had to plunk down 1M for a new aircraft I would be serously looking at turbines rather than conventional engines. Honda has been working on a new powerplant for last few years... both piston AND turbine..

my 2 cents.

Bob
Unread 06-26-03, 12:20 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Powerplants

I agree with you Bob. I'm suprised that Adam chose the power plant they did, instead of the liquid version. At the time they were developing, though, there was, and is not today, a reasonably priced alternative to a piston engine. Especially in this HP category. A lot of people say they are developing stuff, SMA for one, but those engines do not exist today, and did not exist when they started.
When they were first in the news, they talked about turboprop, and pointed out that the cost was 4X more per engine than what they got.
If I was going for something in this price range, I would be looking at the Diamond Jet, however, it's still a single engine airplane.
Unread 06-26-03, 12:37 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I hope the Adam finds a market. If so, it will be another vote for centerline thrust, in a modern design. That, and the resulting press that we have already seen, and will continue to see, will inevitably promote people's awareness of our airplanes, and probably raise their value. Some percentage of folks who initially think about the Adam will decide that 80% of the performance for a tenth or less of the price is the right answer. With more buyers, prices go up (except when *I* buy the stock ;-).

Kevin
Unread 07-21-03, 10:58 PM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
As I was growing up in Venezuela my father told me at a very early age, that because of - The
need for humanity to innovate was innate-, I probably would be more Ingenues than him, and
that my children more so than me and so on. I believe the time has come for the industry to take
a look at the visionaries at Cessna of 1960 and the marvelous decision, they made when they
created the Skymaster.

Today Adams is paying tribute to those engineers by bringing Centerline trust back in style.
Those of us who have been flying centerline trust aircraft, should rejoice to know that that
-jenesequa- filling of trust in the desition we made by purchasing and flying such aircraft, was a
fresh departure from any Macho inuendo,which was so prevalent in the 50's and 60's and caused
so many unqualified pilots to hurt themselves on asymmetric trust aircrafts.
We made our
purchasing decisions founded in the logical understanding of engeneers and the search for a
higher Level of safety.

What a great filling...

Francisco