Under $10 a year 1 4.17%
10 to 15 a year 9 37.50%
15 to 30 a year 14 58.33%
Nothing 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 08-26-03, 02:11 PM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Can we grow the membership in the Website

I would like to know how many of us are willing to contribute a small amount, $25-35 dollars a year, that would go to Kevin to help offset his costs along with marketing the site to other Cessna 337 and O-2 drivers.

The reason I bring this up is that when I was in OSH this year, I had the opportunity to stop by several 337's and say hello.
In getting to know the owner, I asked each if they were aware of our site. In each instance, not one of these guys had heard a thing about the site and wanted me to give them the URL.

The second reason is that I benefit from the site being up in many ways, yet in over a year I have not paid a thng for it.
I proably should not kick a gift horse, but nothing stays long by paying nothing. Also, our webmaster's business is suffering and he has to have some costs associated with the site. I feel it is time to have all who benefit throw a few bucks into the pot.

I am suggusting that we take a poll and see what your thoughts are concerning the idea.
Unread 08-28-03, 08:39 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Site Cost

I know Kevin has put a lot of time and his own money into building this site. He should not be expected to keep doing this when we all enjoy and pay nothing. I know he is having money problem and is trying to sell his very nice 337P, which he must be very sad about. So I would gladly give him help with the cost of running the site. Dale Campbell
Unread 08-28-03, 10:50 AM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin Thank you for the hard work. Come on members vote!!! We have 286 members 66 have viewed this thread and only 9 votes so far. Let's give Kevin the support he deserves He has put hundreds or hours into this site for our benefit.

Frank
Unread 08-29-03, 02:34 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Actually

Actually, this is where Jerry and Keven need to say something

One of the reasons that the Bahamas fly-in had the turnout it did was that I mailed about 300 invitations, from the FAA database. Many of the people who attended had never heard of either websites (Peters was up and running then I think), or the email server on Yahoo.

We need to do that, letters to registered Skymaster owners, from the FAA database, the CA database, the MX database (I don't know that either one actually exists or is accessible), to improve communications and have future events that have resonable attendance.

Doing that costs money.
Unread 08-29-03, 07:10 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I HAVE NOT CONTRIBUTED TO THE WONDERFUL BENEFIT I RECEIVE FROM THIS WEB SITE. I AM READY. I HAVE CAST MY VOTE.

THANK YOU KEVIN, FOR YOUR HUMBLE AND GRACIOUS GIFT YOU HAVE GIVEN US, YOUR TIME. WE ALL KNOW HOW DEDICATED YOU ARE TO THIS AND YOU HAVE GIVEN THIS PERSONAL PASSION. LET'S START 2004 WITH A CONTINUATION OF A GREAT TOOL, THIS WEB SITE.

SHOULD WE HAVE A BUDGET?
HOW MUCH DOES IT TAKE?
LET'S BREAK IT DOWN.
Unread 08-30-03, 01:59 AM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Count me in

This site is more interesting and more informative than just about any site - free or subscription - I have ever visited. I've paid as much as $39.00/yr. for a subscripton site before. We certainly wouldn't want to price anyone out of the market and lose members but it's damn well worth something. Kevin's efforts are worth something. Mark me as a subscriber.

Hugh
Unread 09-01-03, 11:19 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Support for website

At the Nashville meeting we collected about $500.00 to support the site. Keven has it in a special account if not already sent on to Kevin. I, as well as Larry, chose not to receive reimbursement for the funds we spent to make the meeting a success. I wonder if anyone is going to step up and plan a meeting for next spring. If not, I will do it again under certain conditions.

I don't mind doing the agenda and with help select the location and get speakers. However, to be quite frank, I would put a fee on the meeting that will pay expenses for those putting on the meeting as well as an additional fee for the webpage to help Keven with his expenses.

Problem with the meeting in Nashville was that a WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE COMMITTED TO ATTEND AND DID NOT! Since no fee was charged, it made it to easy not to come. I just thank those folks that did come because they made the meeting, in my opinion, a great success and those that did not show missed out on a good thing.

What do you say all? Want a meeting? I am thinking of a $125.00 fee per aircraft and pilot, plus $75 for each additional person. The fee will include the following:

*Reception dinner
*meeting room
*Coffee in meeting room
*Two lunches
*Website support.
*Off set meeting expenses

By any other seminar standard, this is cheap.

In the Nashville meeting a six member panel was selected to help organize such events and oversee expenses.

Feel free to make your comments

Thanks
Jerry
N34EC
Unread 09-01-03, 12:46 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
What, you gave the money to a LAWYER!?! I'm sure I will get it soon, less attorney's fees and costs... ;-)

Seriously, I have not received anything yet, but knowing Keven, I am sure there is a good reason...

Kevin
Unread 09-02-03, 12:00 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
fees

We all know that it cost real money for Kevin to put this website up, and maintain it. It also costs something we can never pay, and that is a substantial amount of time.

We all know it cost real money for the 2 fly-ins we have had.

Unfortunately, we have left it to those who do so to pay for it. Bob Cook paid for many things in the Bahamas, and that George Amthor paid for his flight to the Bahamas, as our guest speaker. Jerry paid for things to make Nashville happen, not to mention the work involved by both people at the respective events. So Kevin, Bob, and Jerry have paid. What about the rest of us?

Growing the membership takes 2 things, time and money. This group has representation from several countries, and many of the people who registered do not own skymasters, yet the total represents less than 1/3 of the registered skymasters in the US. Informing the other 2/3 takes time and money. It would be beneficial for all, but without the money, it's hard to make the time.

Having another meeting takes the same 2 things, plus a commitment for the number of people attending. It's impossible to arrange a gathering someplace when you tell the hosting facilities (hotels and FBO's) there will be between 14 and 43 people attending. Jerry was faced with this in Nashville, when the number of people was less than the hotel expected, and they wanted to charge him for the meeting room. With an expectation of the number attending, we can attract speakers. Not that everyone who was in Nashville wasn't excellent. They were. Brian, Jim, Scott, Owen, John, (did I forget someone?) all gave truly excellent presentations.

I vote, if there was such a thing, that the fee schedule Jerry proposes is reasonable.

Yes Kevin, we did entrust the money to a lawyer.

I also think that next month, we have to start thinking about where/when the next meeting will take place, and think about how we let the other skymaster owners in the US, CA, MX, etc, know about it. Jenny (or Jim, can't remember which) made the point that the FAA database is unreliable, but it is a start. 900 letters (US registrations) would cost $300+ to mail.

Scheduling is important. Before Jan 1, there has to be a commitment to a location, a timetable, so people can make plans, and make commitments. Wait until Jan to start thinking about a location, and notifying people, and it will be poorly attended. If we have an indication by Jan of the number of people, that will help with the speakers and timing.

Just my .02

Larry

Last edited by WebMaster : 09-02-03 at 12:08 PM.
Unread 09-02-03, 01:20 PM

So my vote would be that we use the money collected in the last meeting to pay for a mailing to all U.S. registered Skymaster owners publicizing the next meeting and the web site at the same time.

I very much appreciate the nice words in this threads that were directed toward the site. The lack of voting response, however, confirms what I have always thought, and that is that like many other things on the Internet, this site will be more successful if it is free. We could perhaps start suggesting a donation, depending on how future voting goes, but requiring payment to use the site will probably just kill the site. Look at how little activity there is on the CPA message board for 337s...

I am quite willing to continue to operate the site on a donation basis. The only real expense involved is my time, and I can control how much or how little of that I donate. The actual web hosting is about $18 per month, as long as we don't start doing streaming video from the site.

As for the other comments about the meetings, I agree that a fee for attendence is a good idea, along the lines of what Jerry suggested.

Kevin
Unread 09-02-03, 03:44 PM

Frank Benvin is an unknown quantity at this point
There are 77 -337's and 3 - 336's registered in Canada. I will be willing to send out letters about this site and the next meeting to them. Let me know the details and it will be done. Now we need people to volunteer for the rest of the countries around the world.

Frank
Unread 09-02-03, 03:49 PM

Thanks Frank, that would be just great. I don't know how to access the registries in the other countries, just the U.S., so help with Canada and other countries will be very valuable.

Kevin
Unread 09-04-03, 12:09 AM

hewilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Next mtg

I have a lot of family in Scotland. Think there are any Skymaster jockies there who want to jump the pond? If so, be prepared to empty the liquor cabinet over the weekend! I'll attempt the due diligence on the Scottish pilots.

Hugh
Unread 09-04-03, 12:28 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Voting

Kevin, I, too, am surprised that we have had so few votes compared to the activity level this site enjoys. Is there any way you can require a vote before accessing the site (0ne time only for each member)?
Unread 09-04-03, 01:02 PM

It is technically possible, but I'd have to write some software to do it, no time for that right now...

Interesting thought though.

Kevin