Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Recommended Destinations and Fuel Stops
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 07-12-09, 10:18 PM

John Hoffman is an unknown quantity at this point
Lake Michigan Crossing

We are planning a flite from home base in SE Indiana to Sturgeon Bay Wi this tuesday to spend some time in Door County. Best route from here is up thru Michigan to cross Lake Mi. at Crystal Lake landing at KSUE Wi. Any thoughts from the Michigan Fliers on crossing and favorites things at the destination. This is a short notice request but if the weather up that way looks ok for a few days its probably a go - thanks.
Unread 07-13-09, 09:39 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
I have always crossed on V510, MKG to FAH. If you are VFR, there is "lake reporting service", which will provide flight following across the lake.
Your route would take you off the airways, and I don't know if "lake reporting" works that far north.

Alternately, you could go up to White Cloud, and take V26-V55 across.

What ever you do, I would heartily suggest staying on an airway across the lake.

Last edited by WebMaster : 07-13-09 at 09:44 AM.
Unread 07-13-09, 10:43 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
John
I was just in 3D2 a couple of weeks ago. Great little airport and really nice folks there. Fuel was a little high but you wouldn't have to fuel there. My course was 08C direct 3D2 and that put me over the water at LDM until I got to Wisconsin pennisula. Easy flight at 8,000 going up and 7,000 coming back (IFR). Really a neat area from Ephriam up to Ellison bay. Be sure you have the fish boil for dinner in Ellison Bay it's really good.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 07-13-09, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
John
I was just in 3D2 a couple of weeks ago. Great little airport and really nice folks there. Fuel was a little high but you wouldn't have to fuel there. My course was 08C direct 3D2 and that put me over the water at LDM until I got to Wisconsin pennisula. Easy flight at 8,000 going up and 7,000 coming back (IFR). Really a neat area from Ephriam up to Ellison bay. Be sure you have the fish boil for dinner in Ellison Bay it's really good.
Thanks for the replies - just what I needed. Wife found some things for the weekend there so we now plan to fly up Thursday for a long weekend. Looking forward to the fish boil and anything else that swims. The airway crossing is a good idea, I will probably file IFR taking V26 across, get for sure flite following with that - thanks all again.
Unread 07-14-09, 02:37 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Sounds like fun, John. The 10 day weather forecast I just looked at says "It's a nice weekend to fly to Dorr County". It did. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I always like the idea of flying airways, too. There are some people I know who don't, but I do.
Unread 07-22-09, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry bowdish View Post
Sounds like fun, John. The 10 day weather forecast I just looked at says "It's a nice weekend to fly to Dorr County". It did. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I always like the idea of flying airways, too. There are some people I know who don't, but I do.
Larry - Filed to White Cloud and V26 across great flite and good route both ways for us. Spent 5 days on the penninsula and enjoyed it a lot, did a fish boil and ate lots of lake fish. Initially landed at SUE but moved the plane to 3D2 when the rental couldnt be extended. You guys probably know but 3D2 has 2 rental cars on the field and took good care of us. They also have free bicycles at the FBO. Thanks again for the good info.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: