Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-28-06, 10:03 AM

Brent is an unknown quantity at this point
Need dual CFI P337 time

We are amazed and dumbfounded at some of the requirements dumped on us by the insurance companies as we transition from high performance singles to a '76 P337 we just purchased. We've already taken the course at RTC, and are ok with the requirements for dual CFI instruction. The tough part, though, is that the CFI has to have 25 hrs in a P337 and have been to RTC specifically for the P337 within the past 2 years. Our CFI has 27,000 hours, most in twin cessnas, king airs, dukes, and 300 hrs in a T337, with multiple sessions at Flight Safety and Simcom within the past two years, but the insurance company rejects him because he dosn't have the 25 hrs in a 'P' model, and his recurrent training is not specifically for the P337! So we are looking for a CFI who has P337 time and has been to RTC for the P337 within the past two years. Preferably in the Rocky Mountain area (we're located in Lander, Wyoming), or Pacific Coast, or Midwest.
Unread 03-04-06, 10:47 PM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Brent -

I have AIG as my underwriter, and they had no such requirement..

The CFI needed to have like 150 hours skymaster time, and 1500 hours total -
The first year was a little high, but after that, it settled down to around $4000/yr w/ no requirements for recurrent training at all.
My policy is through Wings, Inc. in Minneapolis/St.Paul MN.

If you have not already paid up for yours....you might re-look at your underwriter... out of the 7 or so carriers - 4 made offers to insure, ranging from $7000 to $3400, with the carrier at 3400 having rediculous requirements.... I went with AIG, which was slightly higher, but realistic requirements upfront. At some point in the future, you can always price-shop for a lower carrier once you have built up time.

Keep in mind - I think recurrent training is not a bad idea at all, but they did not require it.

Also - it depends on what kind of time you personally are coming into the P337 with. I was low at ~400 hours TT but not as low as some. I also noted you said 'we' so perhaps there are multiple pilots insured - which always adds to the cost/risk ratio.

My CFI had not flown a P337 at all - only 337's back in the 70's...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: