Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-01-03, 02:17 PM

Loran-C, Model 120MC

Just returned home with my new-to-me 336. It has a Loran-C, model 120MC by STS Avionic Products. Have searched the web for this outfit to get an update in the memory, but have had no luck in finding this group. They are/were located in St. Louis, MO. Does anyone out there know if this place is still in existence? Or of anyplace that may be able to help me update this receiver? Thanks to all that answer.
Unread 05-01-03, 05:36 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
120 MC

Found this ad when searching google. Maybe Sacramento Aviation can find a contact for you.

Piper Arrow 1967 S/N 28R-30078 Sacramento Aviation USA
6725 tt, 340 smoh , 325 spoh, collins adf-650, collins tdr-950, sts 120mc loran /mode c, interior:grey cloth seats with grey side panels, white headliner, grey carpet Exterior: overall grey and white with navy blue and light blue stripes
>more information >sellers site >email enquiry >send to a friend >services
Unread 05-01-03, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm gonna ask a question which is likely to make me awfully unpopular and perhaps be labeled by some as stupid: why would you want to update and spend any money on a Loran, as opposed to yanking it out of the aircraft? Given that handheld GPS units are so inexpensive and powerful, that they'll keep working even with total loss of electrical power, and that the Loran stations' lifetime is in question, I would pitch the Loran. Sorry, if this offends. Perhaps others will jump in here and agree/disagree with me.

Ernie
Unread 05-01-03, 11:45 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I for one, am not offended, it is a good question.

I will continue to update my Northstar M1 for as long as it is relatively cheap, because I already have the equipment installed in the airplane (in addition to a handheld GPS on my control yoke, a Garmin 295), and the Loran gives me a second, backup, point to point navigation data source. The altitudes I can comfortably fly in my P337 allow me to fly direct, point to point, almost everywhere I go. (I don't go to the Northeast US much.) When I make a cross US trip, I would guess that I spend less than an hour of the whole trip on an airway, usually I am navigating by the 295 and the Loran (oh, and of course using my KNS80 to make it all legal, as it the only IFR certified RNAV in the airplane). Anyway, once in a great while, there is GPS interference (most often for me near Edwards AFB in Southern Cal). The Loran gets me through when that happens. If they are both working, as they usually are, they are a good cross check of each other. And also, if I am navigating using the GPS, I can use the Loran to instantly give me distance and bearing to any point, or to set up another leg, or whatever.

Would I buy a Loran to do this? Hell no. Would I like to have an IFR certified, panel mounted GPS in my airplane? Hell yes. Have I ever found myself with the spare $6K to $8K to install a panel mounted, IFR certified GPS? No, I have not. But I do have the $200 it costs to update the Loran database every couple of years.

Someday soon the Loran will die, and I am unlikely to repair it. But if I still don't have the spare K's for the GPS, I may indeed buy a used, servicable Northstar M1 someplace, for $100 or less, and plug it right into where the dead one was.

So, bottom line, having two point to point navigation sources is very important to me. (Oh ya, I mean three, with the KNS80.) Keeping my Loran going is the least expensive way to do it, and it has worked well for me for the five years I have owned the airplane.

Sure would like a GPS for the GPS approaches though.

Kevin
Unread 05-02-03, 12:01 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
sts

i have an sts, and it died. i bought a yellow tag one, off ebay, for $20-$25. hard to repair them, becuse of parts. check ebay for sts loran
there is one listed today for 24.99
Unread 05-02-03, 12:09 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Loran?

I have a IFR certified GX60 (all the way thru approach) and an Apollo Flybuddy. The Flybuddy cannot be updated as Apollo no longer supports them (according to my avionics man - never called direct.) The little loran keeps on chugging. I've had the GPS back to the manufaturer 4 times and even at it's best it doesn't always work. The loran always works? The database is way out of date so I am very careful about using it but it's a great backup. Once it shoots craps, it's out of there! I've debated pulling it out every time I am in my avionics shop but it's too handy. I also carry a hnadheld gps for additional backup. Spending even $25 to buy a working STS is money peed in the wind, in my humble opinion.
Unread 05-02-03, 01:09 PM

Loran

I agree with Kevin. That's why I posted in the first place. I just flew cross country from Ohio, thru Canada, home to Alaska. I, too, have a Garmin GPSMAP 295. That was my first choice for navigating - a wonderful instrument. Having the Loran as my 2nd nav-aid was beneficial. But when it came to transiting thru Canada, it was useless. And the identifier codes for U.S. locations are not the most current. So, again, can these Lorans be updated to get current identifiers?
Unread 05-02-03, 08:54 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
No

No, the database, generally needs specific configurations. In the case of STS, since they are out of business, you can not get the database updated.
I agree on the functionality of GPS's. I bought an AirNav, portable GPS/Moving map, and wouldn't dream of flying without it.
It even includes the approaches, and has vnav.
Just a wonderful product.

In anyevent, congratulations on your purchase. I am sure you will have lots of years of flying enjoyment with your new to you 336. Aren't they all new to us. Sometimes I go to the hangar, and marvel at how good looking the plane is, and practical at that.

I digress

Last edited by WebMaster : 05-02-03 at 08:56 PM.
Unread 05-03-03, 11:58 AM

ez_driver is an unknown quantity at this point
You might want to give Tropic Aero a call and see if they still work on STS Lorans. Here is web page that looks a bit out of date: http://www.aerosearch.com/companies/tropic/sts.html A more recent site shows only GPS equipment ( www.tropicaero.com ). I would call or email and see if they can be of any help. It seems that they would have at least a more recent database available, or can tell you who is supporting the equipment.