Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-02-02, 11:41 AM

Angry Pre-Purchase. Doing the homework!

A broker in Skymasters pointed me to a 336 for sale in Florida. I asked and was told that the airplane has "no known damage history", but that the logs start about 1970.

I paid the FAA $5 for a CD-ROM history of the airplane. The airworthiness records show that the airplane was wrecked and rebuilt in the early 70s, with major repair/replacement of the fuselage, wings, horizontal stab, all control surfaces, pilot-side controls, landing gear, etc.

It looks like anything that wasn't rebuilt was replaced with used parts from another Skymaster. A friend jokingly commented that the serial number might be the only original part left.

Is this common in the industry? Has anyone else run into this situation when buying an airplane?

Thanks,
Bob

btw - That $5, order-on-line service from the FAA is great! That's the best five bucks I've spent in quite a while. I received the CD in about a week.
Unread 10-02-02, 04:05 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
"No known damage history"

Bob,

Broker's are like politicians: They LIE, CHEAT AND STEAL! Or, they lie, cheat and steal by their sin of omission.

Why even mess with a 336 from a "Broker" when there are MANY nice 337's available from PRIVATE owners? Who needs the "middle man"?

Your best source for info, as you have discovered, is the FAA records search and another is NTSB records... notwithstanding this "SOAP" website.

Don't believe anything you're told about an airplane until you yourself can verify-verify-verify by independent factual information. Any airplane that's missing logs is missing them for a reason. It would be the RARE experience that the "dog ate them".

SkyKing
Unread 10-02-02, 09:01 PM

Tony Giantonio is an unknown quantity at this point
It Turly is Buyer Beware

I have personally seen many instances of this sort of thing. I have inspected aircraft and log books for years and I am always amazed at what is found, or better yet sometimes hidden. The first thing when you buy an aircraft, any aircraft not just a 336/337 is to have someone who knows that type of aircraft look at it for you. Unless you are an a&p IA. Yes people will try to get things passed prospective buyers. In your case missing logs is the first red flag. Were they lost, stolen, distroyed, or what? Is it documentated why logs are missing. If it is documented your given a reason for the missing logs. I would be very cautious from here on. Now if the aircraft is in tremendous shape, has had routine maintenance, that is documentated, and hasn't changed owners 10 times in the last 10 years then the first few years of life of this bird might not be too disadvantageous. If you get the FAA records and see FAA form 337's that are not in the logs another red flag. Somthing to question. Why the repairs or alterations. But in the end its the buyers decision if all the things that come up, if he is willing to put down his hard earned money on a iffy aircraft and live with what ever comes up. Not to make a case for the mechanics we all know the mechanics make too much money and don't need it, but in my opinion you cant spend your money any better than on a good mechanic who will work on your behalf. He may even know the aircraft or can talk to the current owners/shops and resolve any questions. Thats just my two cents.
Unread 10-03-02, 10:32 AM

Funny, or sad?

I informed the broker of the 336's damage history via email. I also included the email in which he told me the airplane has no known damage.

His reply: "Thank you for the email."

He then asked if I'm still interested in the airplane!

Caveat emptor is right.

Bob
Unread 10-03-02, 10:40 AM
Keven

I'll Ask the Obvious Question

Who was the broker?

Keven
________
HURT FROM AVANDIA

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:53 PM.
Unread 10-04-02, 09:08 AM

Answer

I emailed Keven with the details. I'm new to posting and I don't know if net etiquette allows me to put the guy's name out here, but I'll he happy to provide the info to anyone that asks me directly.

Bob
Unread 10-05-02, 03:08 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Dirty laundry

Bob,

I believe "exposure" is the best way to police this kind of thing, but if you don't feel up to it, please advise... I have a BLACK BOOK I like to keep current.

SkyKing