Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-25-18, 02:04 PM

Skywalker is on a distinguished road
Pre Buy Inspection Tips

Hello Guys
After lot of thoughts, and comparisons between C-P337 C 340 ,C 414A,decided to stick to my first plan of Skymaster,
i got distracted a bit ,as i learned C -P337, is not a good performer in icing ,but learned most light and specially the Pistons aircrafts even with FIKI ,also do not shine in this regime,so if icing condition prevails ,stay on the ground Or take Easy Jet Flight .
the cost of maintenance on C 340 and C414 run about 20 -25 k usd/year , plus fuel hanger , insurance etc in Europe its about 800- 900 usd per hour;-((((, no justification for my .mission profile;
i have learned through this Site the maintenance costs should be around 10000 usd/year and also i do not have to pay Euro Control fees ,which are about 60 usd/hr of flying .
i have spotted two very nice P337 In Europe and
i am doing a Pre buy Inspection on one 1979 ,P337 next week in Europe and i will hire a A&P to do the inspection ,Who is very much familiar with SkyMasters, but would like to have advise from the Pilots ,users and maintenance guys who are in contact with Sky masters in real life on daily basis, what particular areas i should look for, where can be problems ?what really needs to be checked ?,any traps, troublesome areas etc?
Thanks a lot in Advance
Dennis
Unread 01-26-18, 09:09 AM

JimC is on a distinguished road
If your A&P is "very much familiar" with Skymasters, I wouldn't worry. He'll know what items need attention. If your A&P hasn't seen many Skymasters, I would consider flying in a Skymaster expert to help with the prebuy. A 1,000 euro expense could save you 10,000.

If you're really stuck, the book "The Cessna Skymaster" has a very basic (17 item) pre-buy checklist. https://skysmith.com/product/cessna-skymaster-book/ It's copyrighted so I won't repost it, but point 17 is "Have a good mechanic that knows Skymasters do the prebuy inspection."

"if icing condition prevails ,stay on the ground Or take Easy Jet Flight" - good idea!

Last edited by JimC : 01-26-18 at 10:16 AM.
Unread 01-26-18, 12:10 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Dennis
Are the SID's a requirement in Europe?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-26-18, 12:26 PM

Skywalker is on a distinguished road
Hello Herb
SID are required by EASA ;-((
So I will fly under N ;reg;
Dennis