Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-17-18, 05:05 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Cargo pods weatherproofing

All,

Of the 3 pods available (Cessna, RT, and Owen Bell) does anyone have any feedback on the degree to which they protect from weather?

I'm interested in results from flying through the rain as well as just sitting in the rain.

Thanks!
Unread 01-23-18, 08:31 AM

Nobody who has a pod has ever flown in the rain? Or parked in the rain overnight?
Unread 01-23-18, 07:22 PM

N337RT is on a distinguished road
As far as the Cargo pod we sell (RTAEROSPACE) it is fairly “weatherproof”. We seal around the lip/mating area so that flying through rain will not be an issue. Same goes for sitting, almost nothing gets into the pod. I haven’t added any seal to the door on my plane and if there would be any leakage then that would be the one spot but can most likely be easily fixed. I’d venture to say that most all pods would have the same result.
Unread 01-24-18, 10:48 AM

SteveG is an unknown quantity at this point
My factory pod does not have a gasket between the upper edge of the pod and the aircraft belly, but it should. The mating edge is "sealed" with silicone caulk but this deteriorates with time, weather, vibration and wear. It is this mating edge which is the major source of water infiltration when the aircraft is left sitting in a downpour as the water runs down the sides and with no drip edge to intervene, it continues along the curvature till it intersects the pod rim. If one maintains the edge seal, the pod is reasonably water resistant but not waterproof. The access door also does not have a gasket and is a secondary infiltration point. Floor pan drain holes remove any significant accumulation. Significant, as in gallons not teaspoons. In flight the slipstream removes any water adhering to the skin, forcing it aft rather than allowing the gravitational sheet flow previously described. The cargo pod is great for lawn chairs & camping gear, tie-downs & chocks, tools & spare parts and similar assets but not the place for your finest leather luggage unless you think water stains, exhaust stains, engine & hydraulic oil stains, all add a chic patina and aroma.
Unread 01-24-18, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the answers! Is the RT seal a gasket or a caulk?
Unread 01-25-18, 05:52 AM

N337RT is on a distinguished road
We have a rubber gasket, and we also use sealant on the edge as well on the Rtaerospace pod

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: