Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Mechanics and Service Providers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-08-16, 12:05 AM

Skymaster337B is an unknown quantity at this point
Help taking apart nose gear strut

Anyone ever take apart the nose gear strut to replace the packings? I read and followed the manual to remove lower strut....split the sisors, take out snap ring and pull down really hard. After trying, it didn't pop out of the upper strut. I'm obviously missing a lock ring some place, and the manual mentions an access hole to a lock ring. Need help locating access to the lock ring.

Thanks,

Rob
Unread 02-08-16, 10:47 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Rob

There is a lock ring on the inside of the upper strut. It has to be removed from the inside by using the access hole to push it out of the groove. It's been a while but that's what I remember. Then the rod can drop out the bottom of the strut. I can look it up in my manual if you don't have yours.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 02-09-16, 12:43 AM

Herb, thanks for the reply. I have the manual, but that paragraph just isn't written well. My question is how to access that ring....where is the access hole in the upper strut? How to remove the lock ring if it's internal? Does the ring remain inside the upper strut after it is popped off?

I see the ring in the drawing but I don't have a clear vision of how to pop it off from the inside. Any more guidance is appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob
Unread 02-09-16, 12:15 PM

Herb, here's what I'm seeing in my parts manual. There are two "lock rings." Item number 12 and 20, for the top and bottom of the" ring pack support" #17. Additionally, at the bottom of the collar is a snap ring item #21, listed as "ring-retaining." I've removed item 21, but that was easy to see and access. So which internal ring am I missing because I don't see how to remove 12 or 20 until after removing the lower strut....in fact the book says to remove 12 and 20 after removing lower strut from the upper strut.

Thanks,

Rob
Unread 02-27-16, 11:59 PM

So, as it turns out, that "hole" mentioned in the manual is behind the "lock collar." So you must remove the springs holding it on, then pull it down until you can see the little hole on the right side of the strut. Then stick a punch in it, to pop-out the lock ring, while grabbing it with a curved pick to pull it out of the internal groove.

The funny thing is, the very next paragraph in the maintenance manual describes how to remove the lock collar...to bad it wasn't put in the paragraph above so as to explain what must be done to access the "hole."

I hope this info helps the next guy.

Last edited by Skymaster337B : 02-29-16 at 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling
Unread 05-24-18, 09:52 AM

LostKiwi is on a distinguished road
I just recently pulled mine apart to swap out all the old seals.
She now holds pressure, and works as advertised!

This thread was most definitely helpful! For those interested, I have attached a pic of the little bitty hole you're looking for. The manual just says "A small access hole is provided at the lock ring groove to facilitate removal of lock ring." On mine, it was so covered up with old grease / schmoo that I couldn't find it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180508_120127.jpg
Views:	1931
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	1852  
Unread 05-25-18, 07:32 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
Help taking apart nose gear strut

Hello ALL.
FYI. The nose strut kit is available from McFarlane Aviation for about $30. I converted all the "AN" O-rings to the listed "MS" O-rings in the kit for your convenience. Hope this helps. BILLS
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OVHL KIT NOSE STRUT-Part Number MCSK172.pdf (36.2 KB, 1956 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: