Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 03-23-08, 11:50 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Parker Hannifin/Airborne Vacuum Pump

I got an interesting note on Friday, from Parker Hannifin / Airborne concerning vacuum pumps. It said, in brief, that this letter contains information CRITICAL TO PILOT AND PASSENGER SAFETY . I can tell you, that got my attention. It says that all Parker/Airborne Engine Driven Air Pumps are beyond their service limits, and must be removed. It further says that in the next 30 days, check your airplane, and remove the Parker/Airborne vacuum pump.

On Friday, we were getting another snow storm, so I was more interested in how much gas I had for the snow blower, than checking the vacuum pump on my plane. Today, I confirmed that I don't have the Airborne pump, I have PESCO wet pumps.

So I did some research on this subject. It turns out that you can buy a rebuild kit for your Parker pump from Aircraft Spruce. The letter, however, says not to use an overhauled or reconditioned Parker pump. I wonder if I should let Aircraft Spruce know that?

There are companies that overhaul older wet pumps, the Pesco and Garwin. There is only one company that makes them today, Airwolf. M-20, the air oil seperator company announced they were going to make a "Lifetime" pump, but they are not doing that any more.

I read that wet pumps are significantly more expensive, to purchase and install than dry pumps. However, if you have to replace a dry pump every 2-3 years, wouldn't a wet pump that lasts for 10 years be better? Airwolf warrantees their pumps for 10 years or 2000 hours.

How many of you use dry pumps, vs wet pumps? It seems to me that the wet pumps last longer, and dry pumps fail. Always. And sooner, too