Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-16-12, 01:39 PM

Don Nieser is on a distinguished road
Wing Spar AD 78-09-05

If one only reads the first part of this AD it says that it covers all Cessna Skymasters from s/n 00001 to s/n 1852. But if one looks closer, the Eddy Current inspection of the 3 holes in the lower front spar near where the strut attaches to the wing, only covers Skymasters from s/n 0001 to s/n 1548. However, the Die Penatrant inspection of the rear spar web at the inboard side of the inboard main tank bay does cover all skymasters from s/n 0001 to s/n 1852.
My question to owners of late model Skymasters with s/n number beyond s/n 1548; look at the bottom of your wings just outboard of where the strut attaches and see if there are screws or rivets in the holes It is the first hole at the front of the spar and at the rear of the spar. My suspicion is that back in the 70's when Cessna designed the late model wings and beefed them up, they put rivets in these holes instead of the screws and that is why the Eddy Current does not cover these aircraft with s/n beyond 1548. Please give me a call, e-mail or send me a letter and photos would help with you s/n and N number.

I am trying to build a case to go to FAA and explain to them that the current people at Cessna do not know what they are talking about. One of the SIDs they put out calls for a duplication of the same inspections as AD 78-09-05 plus other items, but says it covers all Skymasters s/n 0001 to 1852. I want to try to get the SID changed to correctly only include the Eddy Current inspection of the aircraft up thru s/n 1548. A Skymaster owner in Austrlia said Cessna Service Dept told him they had to replace the rivets with screws and do the Eddy Current, which is rediculous. Many of you know that Herb Harney, Ernie Martin, my chief mechanic Larry Good and myself went to Cessna 2 times to review their SID's and add some sense to them. We also had 8 Cessna engineers visit our facility and view many dissasembled Skymaster fuselages, wings, tails and engine mounts etc. because none of them knew anything about Skymasters, how they were designed nor fabricated.
Thanks,
Don Nieser
Commodore Aerospace Corp
6221 Commodore Lane
Oklahoma City OK 73162
405-722-4079 phone and FAx
405-503-4686 cell phone
e-mail: nieser.02.337parts@juno.com
web site: www.02337parts.com
Unread 05-18-12, 05:11 AM

SkyMac is on a distinguished road
Hi Don

Sent you through and email with photo's for the left wing and other info.

Dave
Unread 05-22-12, 12:52 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi Don
We have 6 Skymasters.
S/N 1275 which has screws, we just had the inspection done
S/N 1829 has rivits
S/N 1836 has rivits
S/N 1845 has rivits
S/N 1867 has rivits AD does not apply
S/N 1902 has rivits AD does not apply
Let me know if you need anything else by email geyer@wefly4u.com