Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-14-02, 01:02 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Oshkosh - type club tent?

Folks,

Scott Smith emailed me to to let me know that Oshkosh has offered to allocate the type club tent to us for a get together, and also to publish a dinner schedule for us. Scott is speaking at in the Forum tents again this year, and I suspect they offered this to him because he publishes the Skymaster Newsletter, although he didn't say.

Anyway, I don't think we have enough folks coming to Oshkosh (that we know of) to warrant the tent, but perhaps other 337, 337 and O-2 folks would show up (who are not seeing this site). So I am unsure about setting up "tent time". But I think we should get serious quick about setting a dinner schedule, and then publish that...

What do you think?

Kevin
Unread 06-14-02, 07:26 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb OSH

Kevin

1) We should have a Skymaster LOCATION on the field where we can tie down. Suggest NW corner near Kmart and comfort inn.

2) If we want hotels and not rough it in a tent then we should make some plans.

3) get a name list going with email address for planning incl dates arriving and leaving. I do not plan to stay for more than a few days.

4) Put a link our to skysmith. CPA has their own tent, however, they might publish a meeting time, dinner, or some event.

5) Have a "radio" meeting time on 123.40 every morning at say 8AM and one at 6pm for rallying purposes.

6) leave cell phone numbers.

7) more important, find a way to OSH. I can pick someone up in PIT DET CLE or det/osh direct route.

Great opportunity for guy and aeroplane type stuff.

Bob

bob
Unread 06-14-02, 11:02 AM

I will be at Oshkosh again this year. (have been every year since 1970). I don't know if I will bring the Skymaster or one of my Homebuilts but would love to attend a meeting/supper/tent etc for Skymaster owner/enthusiasts. I hope to see some of you there. By the way my home field of Iowa City IA has u fill it gas for $2 per gal. Only 1 1/2 hrs southwest of OSH. Identifier is IOW
Greg
Unread 06-18-02, 02:16 PM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile HOPE TO COME

Iam trying to come with my skymaster. I have two other skymaster pilots that want to come. We can only be there a few days probable Wed. to Fri. Weather permitting. Dale Campbell-
337DC
Unread 06-21-02, 10:42 AM

Scott Smith got us some tent time from 5:30 to 6:45 in Forum Pavillion #2 on Friday at Oshkosh. No time available at other days and times.

Kevin

Last edited by kevin : 06-21-02 at 11:18 AM.
Unread 06-21-02, 06:10 PM
N69S

osh

Kevin

Will be on the field wed by noon. If someone is coming sooner we should know so we can flag a few tiedown spots. There are some nice local restaurants that would work for meeting, even the dinner tents towards dinner time.

I anticipate leaving Friday noon if wx is good, otherwise, may stay over the weekend. Rather open to say the least.

Bob
Unread 06-21-02, 07:44 PM

Can you really save tie down spaces? I thought they pretty much parked you first come first serve. Have you checked with them at all?

Also, I guess they are not tents, they are buildings (where I got the meeting space). Whoo hoo, I have not been to OSH in 15 years, things must be fancier now...

Sorry Bob, they had no space on other days, I hope you decide to stay Friday night.

Kevin

Last edited by kevin : 06-21-02 at 07:55 PM.
Unread 06-21-02, 08:20 PM
N69S

space /osh

Kevin

They will let you have an adjacent space or two if you ask them when you land and park. They have been good about it in the past.

I assume there is not going to be more than 3 of us (aircraft) by the sounds of it.

I can stay till sat, not really a big issue. I may come late tues depending on wx and how i feel.

Bob
Unread 06-22-02, 04:43 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Bob, I'm planning on being at Oshkosh Tues through Thurs. I'm going to tie down at Appleton to avoid the circus at OSH.
Unread 06-22-02, 07:00 AM
N69S

kevin

kevin

you are going to miss all the fun!

There is no circus if you file IFR in and out. I have always had a "straight in" and I have never flown the vfr route. Even if you do fly the vfr route, with gps it is no big deal. If you are coming in tuesday i can meet you on the field. lot more fun when you camp out. there is a couple of hotels around the corner and i have stayed at the comfort in when the rain made life interesting.

They will also let you pick up a clearance and head out vfr. I have done that as well.

try and make osh rather than appleton. Sure beats driving everyday.

bob
Unread 06-22-02, 06:15 PM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
OK, so I'm a lightweight, I hadn't even considered IFR into OSH. Does that eliminate the land short/long instruction <grin>?

Every few years the temps at OSH are heatstroke-worthy. There's nothing like a good air conditioner & shower in the hotel room at night.

I do agree that driving-in gets old. A few times I stayed in Green Bay (one hour each way), At least Appleton is only about 30 minutes. I really should get a hotel in OSH - but it seems like they're all sold out a year in advance.

You know, the hardest part of driving in each day is trying to find your rental car in the sea of parked cars. I never realized how many green Taurus's there were. Of course, GPS receivers as so small these days, we just record a waypoint …

Let's connect someplace on Tuesday - maybe a meeting place, or maybe swap cell phone numbers?

Last edited by Kevin McDole : 06-27-02 at 01:43 PM.
Unread 06-22-02, 06:33 PM
N69S

Okay Kevin

Your idea of roughing is the MARRIOT. I understand. I am surprised you do not have a chauffeur and limo. Really a green Tauris, how revolting! Need an extended limo HUMMER. They have these at KDEN, surely they have them close to OSH.

Beleive me, the comfort inn always has rooms. There are always cancellations. Why not bring a sleeping bag and air mattress. There are showers for sure. I am sure we can find a room or two if that is your interest. again, sitting around with a beer in hand, under a wing (skymaster) talking about war stories is far better than watching CNN miles away in an airconditioned room.

That is like washing your feet with your socks on! Now lets get into the "REAL" OSH fun thing and be a part of the TRUE believers and followers.. Take your socks off!

Common guys, get this Kevin guy in the mood....

bob
Unread 06-25-02, 08:49 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Flying In

We have hotel reservations for the weekend, but we are thinking of flying in for the day. How feasible is that? What time do we have to arrive in order to be able to land at OSH, and what time can we leave at night?

I know Jerry has talked about flying into Appleton, but if we can fly into OSH, that would be cool.

Thanks
Oh, do I have to notify customs if I land there?
Unread 06-25-02, 10:34 AM
N69S

Jerry

Osh is easy. Instuctions are on the www.eaa.com websight or go to AOPA. I assume you will shoot straight across the lake. The airport is closed during the airshows. Get in by 10am and you will need to check for afternoon hours. Think things close down about 3pm when the show hits. Again, before 10am is easy and earlier the better. File IFR, you will bypass all the VFR traffic, especially when you are a twin.

Bet you will get a direct in on 27...

custom? oh yes, this is another state.

bob
Unread 06-25-02, 12:01 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
THANKS BOB

Thanks Bob,
but, it's LARRY, not JERRY. I know, old age is hell.