Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 03-09-14, 12:03 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
Robertson stol control feel

My 69 t337d has a Robertson stol kit and the lateral control feel, particularly as flaps come down beyond 1/3 is pretty stiff. Can others who have this mod confirm this observation or should I be looking for some sort of rigging issue. Controls move freely on the ground and all Robertson coupled aileron and flap deflections are normal.
Unread 03-09-14, 10:31 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
My Twin Comanche is Roberson STOL equipped and when in full flap scenarios the ailerons are transformed to flaperons. This condition does stiffen the aileron motion. I have been at a safe altitude for maneuvers and put the aircraft in this landing configuration to familiarize myself with the aileron authority in this condition. I recommend you try this exercise as it will provide you with a good understanding and feel for the aircraft in full STOL landing mode.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 03-11-14, 08:18 PM

B2C2 is on a distinguished road
that's a good suggestion. I've done slow flight in the plane but that's not the same as maneuvering flight of the type usually done in the pattern. I have heard from some others that the Robertson mod makes the pattern handling very heavy, so I think the behavior is expected but figured I would hear from others what they have experienced.
Unread 03-15-14, 11:10 AM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
Robertson STOL

My R182 had a Robertson STOL with no stiffness in the feel of it, just reduced aileron authority in crosswind landings because of limitations on the up-going aileron (upward deflection above the wing chord no longer possible at full flaps). So as you know you have to turn the control wheel farther than previously for a given roll correction when it is gusty and flaps are down but in the R182 it didn't necessarily feel stiffer. Control authority improved with VG installation.