Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-21-19, 01:17 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Cool Speaking of Regulatory Heresy

CERTIFIED VS ....NOT

How many of you know the entire ADS-B system is advisory?
Come on. Show your hands. Tommy? Billy? Susan?

----

IN COCKPIT DISPLAY

Moving map displays are to simplify and clarify flight decision making.

While abstracting your 3D position from VOR intercept lines, at 200 mph through the clouds, as a matter of life and death, with your family on board, may be both legal and fun .... we all know there are better practices.

1. A display must have enough resolution to show what needs be shown, and bright enough to be readable in the cockpit.

2. There is A PROBABLY-REASONABLE FAA requirement an EFB must be 7 inches across. IPad mini meets that mark.

Yes, i AGREE, even a Max size Iphone still seems a bit small, but good enough for backup.

3. Software needs to be simple and uncluttered, or it is less use-able. Tendency with all software is to keep cluttering with 'more' features until you can't find the ones you wanted in the first place.

Well designed software has lots of features you can select or de select easily on the fly (forgive the pun).

4. How you file "/G" for example, merely tells the ATC automation/controller which approaches you can/will accept, so they don't give a VOR-only equipped aircraft a GPS approach, or vice versa.

Even if you filed /G with your non-certified LORAN, no Fed is coming after you with a stick.

Even back then it was obvious to controllers anyways: Pilots using VORS would wander around, while pilots using any old GPS/LORAN flew along rulers in the sky.

This becomes ever less an issue with the passage of time....

4A. At Potomac Airfield I actually had the ONLY VOR approach overlaid ONTO a GPS approach. Why? At that time no one had certified GPS, (including the FAA HQ pilots on field), but lots had non-certified GPS, which worked FAR better than VORs anyway. ...So pilots could 'fly the (overlaid) official VOR approach'....typically actually using their GPS.

Same fixes, only difference was the mins at the bottom.

=====

FOR DISCUSSION - EXTRA POINTS

THAT ALL SAID....

A. An IPad mini mounted to panel using a dock seems A LOT better than ANY of the $20k boxes.... Maybe not as bright as traditional panel mount, but good enough when mounted in a dock with some shade.

C. With certified equipment, you can only get the user I/O experience of what an FAA committee and and predatory self-serving industry could agree on 10 years ago.

With non-cert, software / user I/O continues to evolves quickly, AND has many competitive options (which is why it continues to evolve!)

D. It is always a good idea to have redundant /backup source of position etc. If not sure, find an ILS!

E. Probably a good idea to limit to non-precision approaches only, which are are designed assuming a lot MORE positional-slop than even the most basic GPS sources provide.

....COMMENTS GENTS?
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 12-21-19, 09:07 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I have yet to see an iPad that couples to my autopilot to shoot the RNAV approach. That being said I have my iPad with me for every flight. It's just another tool in the box that actually makes the process easier and better and safer. Sure I could use the adjustable wrench to take that engine apart but it's so much better with the specific end wrench and 12 point socket. There's a lot of liability out there with GPS Navigators and to get a certified box you pay the big dollars. Yes Garmin is making some money but that's what they are suppose to do or they don't stay in business long enough to pump out the next box that's better. Where else in this world can you fly free like we do? Notta folks, we are so blessed. USA

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years