Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-14-20, 07:12 PM

cfc1234 is on a distinguished road
New O-2A Owner needing Checkout with CFMEII

Hi there,

I'm in the process of closing on an O-2A purchase. Insurance co is requiring that I get 25 hrs dual with 10 hrs instrument time in it. I'm in Louisiana, near New Orleans. Can anyone recommend someone nearby? Thanks!

Frank
Unread 10-14-20, 07:17 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Who is requiring all that? Are you a low time pilot? There are members that can point you to insurance companies and agents that are more experienced with Skymasters. I hope you didn't take the first policy offered.

25 hours dual is A LOT of money. You could go to the simulator school for far less, which is what some members choose to do. 25 hours times 20 GPH times $4.00/ gal = $2000. Instructor 25 x $50 = $1250 (plus his expenses). Engine/Airframe reserves at very conservative $50/hr = $1250. So you'll spend over $6k with expenses, whereas the sim school is about $3000 plus airfare and hotel for three days.

No matter what, congratulations on owning a true classic!!! I'm building the Roden 1/32 scale model as we speak, I'd love to see pics of yours for inspiration!

Last edited by mshac : 10-14-20 at 07:30 PM.
Unread 10-14-20, 07:25 PM

cfc1234 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
Who is requiring all that? Are you a low time pilot? There are members that can point you to insurance companies and agents that are more experienced with Skymasters. I hope you didn't take the first policy offered. I know all to well, I worked in the industry for several years.

Anyway, there are instructors that will come to you if you pay expenses. You may find it cheaper to go to them!

No matter what, congratulations on owning a true classic!!!
Thanks. Yes, very low multi & complex time, no instrument rating. Fresh multi rating in fact and zero Skymaster time. I'm close to being ready for my instrument rating and was hoping to use this time to finish it up.
Unread 10-14-20, 07:35 PM

Not too shabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfc1234 View Post
Thanks. Yes, very low multi & complex time, no instrument rating. Fresh multi rating in fact and zero Skymaster time. I'm close to being ready for my instrument rating and was hoping to use this time to finish it up.
OK, knowing that you're low time, that offer seems reasonable. Your rate should decrease as your time increases.
Unread 10-14-20, 10:45 PM

JimC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
. You could go to the simulator school for far less, which is what some members choose to do.
Who has a 337 simulator?
Unread 10-14-20, 10:45 PM

frfly172 is an unknown quantity at this point
Congrats on your purchase can you tell us what insurance co quoted you on the plane.
Unread 10-15-20, 09:09 AM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Simulator

FWIW - I did the RTC simulator/FTD initial course for the C337, and when I was getting insurance quotes, no company was willing to give credit for it. I ended up going with Avemco, as they had the lowest rates; they required only 15 hrs dual. Fresh multi and only 4 hours on type.

I think you may want to shop around a little more on insurance.

Jeff
Unread 10-15-20, 09:25 AM

TomM is on a distinguished road
Eastern OK instructor

There is a 337 experienced instructor in Sallisaw OK. It is a little ways from you, but he really likes the 337. I went down there from Iowa to get all my training. I bought a 337 and had it delivered to him and then took my training in my plane down there. I needed about the same flight requirements as you noted but I did NOT have a ME rating. Went from a 1100 hours in a 172 to a 337 and loved every minute of it. Even took my check ride in my plane. Check out this posting for more info:

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=4673
Unread 10-15-20, 05:46 PM

Initial and Recurrent Sim Training for C337

https://www.rtcpilot.com/twin-piston...tial-training/
Unread 10-16-20, 10:06 AM

cessnadriver is on a distinguished road
New O-2A Owner needing Checkout with CFMEII

CFC1234.
I used a CFI/MEI C337 experienced in Nashville, Tn. Great guy, he has his own C337, and may travel to you?? Randy, is his name, I'll have to look in my logbook for his last name, if you'd like his contact information please e-mail me. bstory@pa.rr.com
Regards, BILLS
'65C337 owner/pilot/ A&P mechanic
Unread 10-26-20, 06:56 PM

rhurt is on a distinguished road
I could help

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfc1234 View Post
Hi there,

I'm in the process of closing on an O-2A purchase. Insurance co is requiring that I get 25 hrs dual with 10 hrs instrument time in it. I'm in Louisiana, near New Orleans. Can anyone recommend someone nearby? Thanks!

Frank
I can help, and I'm in Nashville. That's probably not a big issue since it's you need quite a few hours and we could do some trips to build them. I have a MEII certificate with lots of time in 337s and some time in a couple of O-2As. How soon do you want to start? Do you need help with a prebuy or ferrying the airplane?

Best Regards,
Randy
rlhurt16@gmail.com