Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-10-20, 11:50 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Exasperating

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDave View Post
Good evening:

You can't like any of that. It sounds like the front engine system is the closest to normal. I would adjust the front regulator to 28.4V. Once it's set there let's see how it handles the load. We also want to see a steady amp meter. If the amp meter is waving at you there is a problem in the field circuit. Let me know what you get and we will diagnose.

One step at a time will win the battle.

Report your findings.
Rear alt field circuit to case= 15 ohms. Book value 10-12 ohms. Good diode test on real alternator.. Haven’t check front yet. Forgot about AC volt test, again.

Ran engines separately and adjusted both VR to 28.0v
Running both engines together showed 27.9-28.1v fairly steady, even with a load of full lights. Annunciators appeared to operate normally....but...rear alt out light would blink occasionally. Looking closely at warning board, we determined terminals 1&2 and 6&7 were wired backwards, with terminal 2&6 to cathodes instead of 1&7. Fixed that, re-ran front engine and it shows 30v. Gave up and came home to some 12 year old Glenfiddich and read old Tom Carr posts in the CPA forum.

I think I need to start over, but none of the troubleshooting guides in the service manual match these symptoms.
Unread 09-11-20, 04:43 PM

Kim Geyer is an unknown quantity at this point
don't forget to look at the trip out sensor.
had 2 of our 337s doing stupid electrical stuff and found the sensor had corroded pins.
re pinned the connector and everything good. The other one I replaced the sensor. Its located on the copilots side of the pedestal. little rectangle box about the size of a pack of smokes.
Unread 09-11-20, 08:53 PM

Learjetter is on a distinguished road
Eureka!

Turns out, the wiring diagrams in the Service manual depict the printed circuit board in two places. In one drawing, it shows the circuit one way, and in another, it shows it differently.

When I ignore the drawing on page 4-3, and wired the board as in 4_2_1, magically, the system works. Annunciator lights come on when the switch is off. Adjusted each regulator to 28.0v to give 27.7v (book value with load on). And it all worked. Test flight soon to confirm.

Still have a jittery ammeter, but at this point, I'm willing to live with it until annual when we bring this airplane into the 21st century and install plane power R1224s and an EI Voltmeter/ammeter and pile all the ancient diodes and resistors and capacitors in the middle of the ramp and set fire to them.

That is, if I can convince the local FSDO to play ball and sign off my 337 form.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternator Warning Board 4_2_1.jpg (309.4 KB, 562 views)
File Type: jpg Alternator Warning Board 4_3.jpg (321.7 KB, 552 views)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: