Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-07-21, 08:16 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Angry Uavionix AV-30-C Primary Replacement Update

Earlier today I spoke with Mark in the Uavionix Sales department. Mark was frustrated that the AV-30-C was still not approved for twin engine aircraft. He told me he gets several calls per week asking the same question from other twin owners. He said management has given him very aggressive sales targets, but have not delivered any new markets, i.e. the twin market.

He said they were working on eliminating some of the restrictions, such as only aircraft under 200KTAS and 6000#s, but for some unknown reason twins are still on the backburner.

Why Uavionix allows Garmin to OWN this space with the G5 (twin engines), remains a mystery to me.
Unread 10-07-21, 11:09 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
Interesting.

I emailed Uavionix yesterday.

Last year I had got caught in the lurch: before the AV-30C came to market I requested Skymaster 337 be included in AML list. It was. I had it installed. Then FAA had them take Skymaster 337 off the AML list which I only accidentally discovered months after install.

I have been in communication since. The responses have voiced hopes for moving forward with twin certification. They have also floated a software update to include blue line. I asked for an update yesterday and about my dilemma. I got a response this morning. No positive answer to any of these topics. But I also requested assistance with possible form 337 approval from FSDO.

To quote: "We thought that it [cessna 337] would be included, but the FAA changed the aircraft that are approved. We would like to add light twins to the AML but the FAA has not approved this yet....have attached a copy of a [form] 337 so that you can approach the FSDO to do a field approval."

They sent me real life sample form 337 which I hope I have successfully attached. Apparently there is a Seneca in PA flying around with one installed under form 337.

I hope sharing this that it might help. I am still trying to decide whether to keep the AV-30C in my plane, get a form 337 approval or capitulating and going with the Garmin product. In the meantime I have kept my original instruments.

If it worked there should be an attached PDF file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Uavionix 30C form 337 twin.pdf (872.1 KB, 842 views)

Last edited by wslade2 : 10-07-21 at 11:11 PM.
Unread 10-07-21, 11:14 PM

Blue line?

I've yet to see an AV-30-C with a blue line on the airspeed tape. I put the issue squarely in the lap of their software developers.
Unread 10-07-21, 11:21 PM

Agreed. I did not get a positive response about adding the blue line. If I keep the instrument in the aircraft, I would want the blue line visible on it.
Unread 10-08-21, 10:49 AM

Wslade2, the STC Uavionix provided is NOT for a primary installation as an AI, only as a backup. So its useless for what I want, which is an approved PRIMARY AI replacement, just like the singles have with the AV-30-C, and just like the Garmin G5 offers to single and twin owners.

The Skymaster has been on the G5's AML since the beginning.

Uavionix's inability to get this done, after at least two years of begging for it, may force me to give Garmin my $, which I really did not want to do.

Last edited by mshac : 10-08-21 at 04:23 PM.
Unread 10-11-21, 02:35 AM

Unhappy

I concur. In addition to garmin, I have been noodling some on Aspen.
Unread 10-11-21, 08:06 PM

I've read about the precession problem.

Here's an excerpt about it:

https://cessnaowner.org/uavionix-av-...heading-drift/
Unread 10-12-21, 05:24 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Garmin vote

Can't go wrong with the G5's - they have my vote. I have dual G5s (with magnetometer, GAD29B and GAD13) with a GTN750 and have had no issues. While maybe not as "fancy" as the AV-30-C, they are extremely reliable, easy to read and interface well with the GTN and my old autopilot.
Jeff
Unread 10-12-21, 09:12 PM

MD83driver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Can't go wrong with the G5's - they have my vote. I have dual G5s (with magnetometer, GAD29B and GAD13) with a GTN750 and have had no issues. While maybe not as "fancy" as the AV-30-C, they are extremely reliable, easy to read and interface well with the GTN and my old autopilot.
Jeff
Currently installing that same setup on my P337H. Looking forward to it being done!