Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-15-03, 10:42 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
What type of sealant to use on P floor panels?

Hi folks,

What type of sealant do you use on the floor panels in the rear cabin area of a P? I have gotten two different answers:

1.) 880 (or 860 or something like that, what is this stuff?).

2.) RTV, then duct tape over seams.

What do you use?

Thanks,

Kevin
Unread 02-15-03, 07:45 PM

Tony Giantonio is an unknown quantity at this point
Prc-DeSoto International

Kevin, I have used a sealant that is called pro-seal. It comes in two parts that are mixed together and is grey in color. There are various numbers it goes by depending on how fast you want it to cure. It actually is a fuel tank sealer. Its easy to use but very messy, if its out and open i always get it on me somewhere but you cant beat it. Its a PPG product and is made by Prc-DeSoto International. http://www.ppg.com/prc-desoto/main.a...=seal&menuID=3 I hope this helps

Tony Giantonio
Unread 02-16-03, 06:13 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
Kevin:

My aircraft is opened up for annual now. The rear floor inspection covers have been sealed with RTV. There is no sealant under the front floor inspection plates.

Mark
Unread 02-17-03, 08:09 PM

SKYMASTER44 is on a distinguished road
RTV

IF the RTV smells like vinegar, do not use in you aircraft.
That's the word from my
'M and P' Guy
Unread 02-18-03, 05:37 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
"Vinegar smell" An Old-wives tale

As to the story about the smell of 'vinegar', it's just that: A STORY!

Any good grade of clear RTV will work well and you'll find this is what most shops use. The chemicals in the RTV aren't going to etch the aluminum. Any unpleasant odor disappears after it dries and it's fairly easy to remove.

Pro-seal is not a good choice for the inspection plates over the gear as you will have a tough time getting the plates separated from the rest of the plane, and it's rather expensive and difficult to work with as compared to RTV. Pro-seal is much better suited for more permanent things.

SkyKing
Unread 02-18-03, 12:17 PM

Sealant

Dear "SkyKing"

If the "Highly" paid materials and process person
say it is not to be used on the aircraft, his expertize is good enough for me (and this Co. and the 45 million dollares aircraft that's is produced here). This Company do not pay these guys to came up with "old wives tales", And we have documentation to back it up.
But again your are the Skyking and it is your airplane, you can use anything you want.
Respectfully Yours
Tony P.
Unread 02-18-03, 02:51 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Red face What documentation?

Dear "Tony Pea"

Did you see anything "personal" in my prior post that in any way insinuated that you personally didn't know what you were talking about? I didn't. So why the affront?

Now, as to your "documentation", you haven't provided any! Sorry, but hear-say testimony from un-named Jack's never did cut the muster. However, my personal IA, who is retired from a major airline after a long and successful career and who also continues to run his own G/A shop, doesn't have a problem with RTV nor do I, nor does the previous G/A shop who maintained the plane for the 13-years prior to my acquiring it —and they used the clear RTV at every annual during those 13-years, and there is not one iota of etching nor any other abnormality with the areas where the RTV was applied.

BTW, if you will kindly check the Official mouthpiece on the airplane, the Cessna Illustrated Parts Catalog, you'll find staring at you on page 3 thereof at Item -25 "RTV732 - Sealant-Silicone". Seems the Multi-Million $$$ Cessna Aircraft Company doesn't have a problem with using RTV in its airplanes. Did you say you owned one of these?

Respectfully yours,

SkyKing
Unread 02-18-03, 09:09 PM

RTV

The Manufactures of the product "data sheets" states that some of the compounds are "CORROSIVE" and some are not.
Materials and process engineers are higly inteligent, very well trained and educated individuals, with many years of experience in the aircraft/aerospace industries. they do analysis, and testing of all the materials used on the aircraft and were to use what.
P.S. I'm not an materials and process person.
They do not recomend using some of the "RTV" with the smell of vinegar. we do use "RTV" in a several applications on the aircraft,
but not the ones that smell like vinegar.
I can provide anybody that's interested, a list of compounds that are safe and recomended to use on aircraft, if you have a particular application, I can get the answers you need.

I was just trying to provide this board with information for the benfit of the group.
I do not own a jet, I just work for the largest bussiness jet manufacturer in this country.

This is my last posting on this subject, I wish to stop here before others may not be able to discern the difference.
Tony P.
Unread 02-18-03, 10:51 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re RTV

Tony

We appreciate the input.

I was discouraged from using RTV in this area with a pressurized aircraft.

skyflex is a good product made by Gore, or

CS5310NL is a two part sealant based on Permapol P-3 polymers made by Aviation Products Inc. Mil spec = Mil-S-29574. This is designed for pressurized aircraft.

Flame, fuel resistant and toxidity is important along with shear strength and adhesion properties.

Not withstanding I guess we could use discarded bubblegum <G>

Bob