Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-04-16, 09:24 PM

YankeeClipper is on a distinguished road
Is it possible to de-rate a pressurized aircraft?

I've read plenty about the benefits and costs of pressurized cabins. I'd love to cruise 10k with nary the pop of an ear (truly--I have terrible issues with my ears and pressure changes), but the costs of a P-model are just beyond the budget for my mission. But if I could take the quiet and weather resistance of the P, and lose the maintenance and insurance costs, it would seem ideal. Nice thing is, it is not unreversible, unlike, for example, welding up gear for similar objectives.
Unread 03-14-16, 11:12 AM

To clarify, I'm wondering if it is possible to remove--for lack of a better word--the pressurized rating of the aircraft, so as to remove the constraints and obligations associated with that (insurance, oxygen, etc). Naturally, I would also be flying it as a non-pressurized aircraft at that point.
Unread 05-05-16, 05:59 PM

klpilot is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankeeClipper View Post
Naturally, I would also be flying it as a non-pressurized aircraft at that point.
Why not save the hassle and buy a non-pressurized airplane in the first place then?
Unread 05-13-16, 06:11 PM

As I mentioned in the original post, the pressurized hull has several perks over the non (along with some disadvantages too, of course).
Unread 08-08-18, 04:32 PM

Wanted to post a follow up for posterity.

According to a local IA, you cannot de-rate, however, you don't have to fly with the pressurization working. In other words, you can decline to fix issues with the pressurization system, as long as the IA believes it doesn't pose a threat to safety or proper operation (beyond pressurization itself).

Alas, those issues are, according the same source, but a fraction of the costs associated with 'P' models. The obstruction of the additional systems accounts for much of the additional costs. The extra boost of the 225 turbo, unless faithfully reigned in by a determined pilot, burns up components a little more quickly than the 210 turbos, and much faster than the NAs. This, not from my own experience.
Unread 08-09-18, 10:34 AM

rrolland is on a distinguished road
Your IA is correct. You can choose to opt to fly with the pressurization inop. Just like you can choose to fly with it turned off (there is an on/off switch).

You cannot remove the system in however -which I think you mean as de-rating- as the pressurization system is linked and a part of other systems such as heating (combustion heater) and ventilation. By opting to fly with the pressurization inop, you end up carrying the weight of the system for no benefit.

As mentioned somewhere else though, the pressurization system has proven reliable for me. As have the turbos.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: