Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-15-10, 09:18 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Seat Removal

I wanted to confirm something with the group before I do something stupid. Once you removed the pin at the back of the seat rail, does the seat slide all the way back to come out. Do I have to lock anything in place such as springs etc. My pilot seat will slide, but not lock into place. This is the dumbest thing to ever stop me from flying. I had the left and right seat reversed and I'm thinking of taking them out myself and switching them.

Karl
Unread 09-15-10, 10:11 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Karl
Removal is easiest if you take the center seats out first. Then remove the pin for the pilot / co-pilot seat. Then lift the handle to slide seat back and once the seat is past the rail opening lift up away from rail. Continue to slide seat back until the seat is free from the rail. Revese procedure to install. Do you have the safety locks installed on your rails? You will need to slide those out first or allow them to continue to the center seat rails to be clear of the pilot / co-pilot seat removal.

Hope this helps.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 09-16-10, 12:14 AM

Thanks Herb,

That does help. I just thought of another question. Since the mechanism which locks the seat in place isn't latching into the rail, Is there way to adjust it. I can feel the pin sliding across the holes in the rail, it just not falling into one of the holes.

Thanks,

Karl
Unread 09-16-10, 09:54 AM
Forum Administrator

Karl
That doesn't sound right, are you saying the seat does not latch to the rail? Is the pin on the seat not alighned with the holes? So the seat just moves anytime and not latch? Is this since you swaped sides with the seats? Or has this been the case and that is why your swaping?

Confused................

Unread 09-16-10, 11:30 AM

Hi Herb,

Yes, that is what happening. The pin doesn't drop into the rail holes. It did work after swaping the seats the first time, but I've had to have them removed a couple more times for repairs. In the frustrating incidents to keeping me from flying, this one is the latest.

So my thought are either the pin is not dropping down to due to a defect in the mechanism or the pin is misaligned with the holes and can't drop in.

Karl
Unread 09-17-10, 06:56 PM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Do not try and fly your plane until you get this figured out ! There have been numerous accidents where pilot seats (in many aircraft) slip out of the lock pins, and the natural instinct is to grab for the only thing within reach ( the yoke) leading to a snap stall / spin crash.

I recently installed the safety stops available at places like Sporty's as a back-up to the locking mechanism. It is cheap insurance.
Unread 09-19-10, 12:59 AM

Thanks Roger,

That's exactly what I was thinking of when it wouldn't lock into place. Those accidents where the seat moved while taking off. Nope, didn't do any flying that day. The good news is that I found the problem, one of the seat hinges was riding on top of the rail, instead of in the grove. It was hard to see at first until I looked really close. Thanks for the advice.

Karl
Unread 09-20-10, 08:52 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
Seat Rails

Do you know a safety devise was offered last year which Cessna would pay to have installed on pilot seat. You could also pay to be installed on co-pilot seat. I had it done and they work great. It looks like the seat belt rewinder and mounts under the seat and the strap bolts to the floor forward of the seat. When you pull up on handle to move seat it unlocks the rewinder devise to allow seat to move. When you release handle to find hole in rail the devise locks up and gives you 2 locking devises on seats. Every one who owns a Cessna of any kind should install this devise. Dale
Unread 09-21-10, 02:10 PM
Forum Administrator

Dale, for sake of this discussion, can you describe how you obtained the seat locks from Cessna? I have had locks on my aircraft for 6 or 7 years but didn't get them free. Some flyers out there may not have them and may want to exercise their privileges.

BTW
Attached is the AD that covers the rails and pins on our aircraft.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AD 872003r2.pdf (75.7 KB, 1083 views)

Unread 09-22-10, 09:18 AM
Owner 337H N337DC

Dale Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point
New Seat Lock Devis

When I took my 337 in for annual at O/N at Seamans airport in Pa. in 2009, the a/p told me Cessna was offering a new locking devise for pilot seat for free and I would have to pay if I wanted it on the co-pilot seat. Of couse I jumped at the chance to get something free from Cessna. It was to good to be true. You could contact them for the info at 570-945-3769 and speak to Dennis or Larry they did the install. Like I said they work great. Dale
Unread 09-22-10, 11:26 PM

Thanks for the info Dale,

I'll ask about them during my next annual. Hopefully, the seats will be place in properly this time. I did have the chance to take my airplane out after months of sitting around. Except for a few quirks, it’s flying well.

I did find something interesting about our aircraft. I rented a hanger at another airport and after several weeks of waiting, was finally able to get it down there. I knew the aircraft would fit in a standard 42T hanger (it was in one when I bought it) and for some reason I thought all standard T-hangers were that size. I found this not to be true. The hanger I rented was a little smaller, with its depth at 29' 6''. That's when I found out a Skymaster has a length of 29' 8". Doh! The wings fit in the hanger, just not the entire length. Apparently when I compared the Skymaster to other aircraft of its class, it has the longest length. I'm making arrangements with the airport to move to a bigger hanger. The airport I rent at has older hangers and I guess 42T was not standard 40 years ago. It was an interesting weekend, but the stress has worn off.

Karl