Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 04-25-10, 05:21 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
ADS-B capabilties

Does anyone know if ADS-B will eventually provide all traffic, or provide weather information like XM Weather? I was thinking of purchasing a Garmin 696, but you pay for the XM Weather hookup. I just don't do the type of flying where I need to pay that type of information on a monthly basis. If ADS-B will provide that service to pilots in the future at no cost, I also don't want to buy another GPS pad system.

Karl
Unread 04-25-10, 09:33 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Karl,

I am an air traffic controller at Chicago Center as well as a Skymaster owner. From what I hear at work, the answer to your question is yes. ADS-B will display traffic and weather similar to the way the various multifunction displays do now and it is my understanding that once ADS-B is fully operational and aircraft are properly equipped, all this information is available at no charge. I also believe the last target date was something like 2016 for full implementation. This could be inaccurate but for some reason this date sticks in my brain.

I have worked for the FAA for nearly 20 years and from my observations, the probability of anything getting done when the FAA says so is zero. ADS-B is quite complex and the goal for the FAA is to replace ground based radar with ADS-B. This is a lofty goal for the agency and one with HUGE safety implications for the flying public. The agency will move slowly, deliberately, and carefully before they pull the plug on radar and become fully dependent on ADS-B.

That said, I am all for ADS-B. I think if it works as advertised, it would be a very useful addition to the flight decks of all aircraft. I would however not spend one penny on any equipment for my airplane until it becomes mandated after the system is fully up and running. That could take a decade or more. If you want uploaded Wx and traffic info, you would most likely be waiting a long time for ADS-B to fill that roll entirely.

I do believe the ADS-B system will be implemented in segments and I think there are locations that it may even be running now. I am a pessimist myself so I will wait as long as possible before I would invest. In other words, I will believe it when I see it.

Ed
Unread 04-26-10, 08:18 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
If you look at the real benefits of on-board weather and all the information that one can have at your fingertips with these new portable GPS weather it be a 496 or the newer 696 it is the best bang for your buck that is out there. With XM you can subscribe to their basic service for the $15 a month and then add the weather for $50 a month. If you don't fly for 2 or 3 months just suspend it. You still have to pay the $15 but the weather is off until you start it back up.

Once you have this option while flying, especially the long cross countries, you will see the value. The other nice option is that it is portable so it can go from one aircraft to another. Partner up on it. How often could there be a conflict? Just another thought on this terrific system.

Even if ADS-B does materialize it's like 6 years away. By that time the portable you buy today will be obsolete to other new technology anyway.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 04-26-10, 08:39 PM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Thank you both for the information. It might be far enough off that I may consider buying a Garmin 696. I still have a Garmin Pilot III I purchased about 12 years ago. That's ancient in electronic terms.

Karl
Unread 05-13-10, 09:15 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Wait!!

You might consider an iPad, instead of a Garmin 696
Take a look at this.
ADS-B receiver, hooked to an iPad or iPhone.

http://www.skyscope.net/

Here are screen shots with ADS-B weather.

http://www.skyscope.net/skyscope-app...een-shots.html

It runs on an iPhone, or iPad. I didn't buy it, because we don't have ADS-B anywhere around here.

I bought this
http://www.foreflight.com/ipad
it's really slick. VFR and IFR enroute charts, all approach plates, stuff like that. it also has a scratch pad, for copying down clearances, and radar.

There's another app for the iPad that some people think is great.
http://www.skycharts.net/?page_id=291

For ForeFlight, all the charts, VFR and IFR and all the approach plates are $74 per year. That's ALL, as in all the continental US.