Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 09-03-02, 01:14 AM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
not with depends (#1&2 try that with a relief tube)
Unread 09-03-02, 11:32 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
P models can have relief tubes - a little more complicated getting through the fuselage and you need a "receiving" device with a valve you have to push then the pressurized air forces it out! The valve maintains the pressurization when not in use.
Unread 09-03-02, 11:35 AM
Jim Rainer

I should've said I don't have a relief tube - I use empty milk bottles with the screw-on tops. Sporty's has a relief package that converts the liquid into a solid and works well for ladies as well - about $3. Slick!
Unread 09-03-02, 11:40 AM

skymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
40 extra gallons

Our new 40 gallon tip tanks are allowing longer trips without stopping our 73 p337. Belive me its worth it. The bladder deal is a small inconvenience when you calculate cycles. We have a mp3 player plugged into our intercom. I look forward to listening to the audible books. The longer wings require some lookout. The increase 5100 lb gross is real. The tips flex up during flight. JCH
Unread 09-03-02, 05:47 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Flexing wing tips...

I sure hope the wing-tips don't flex themselves off... your long range will become a short trip.

SkyKing
Unread 09-04-02, 06:54 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
Talking Relief tube could doubble as a vacuum cleaner hose

Ahh pressurized aircraft.. and relief tubes... smile.. well... sometimes it does.. and sometimes it doesn't... but, hey just think of the other uses it has... having the little lady vac the interior while at altitude... and oh that spilled drink.. why just use the relief tube... it will take the hair right off the cat...kinda thing... and for the emergencies... why nothing finer for clearing the air... Of course make sure the cabin alt is lower than what your at because if its not ... you could be in for a surprise... too.... just don't get stuck in the thing when you open the valve.. at altitude above 10000.... to clear it for that extra coke that you supersized... as the little well that they used... was made for midgets.. with small bladders... I can hear the panic now...my husband is having extream pain... and we have to land ...now... (tower) where is the pain coming from.... (Passenger) ahhh... well.... he got stuck ... ahhh in... aahhhh ... while everyone else flying is doing loops and laughing so hard...smile... and no its not a adult toy.... and sometimes you have to clean off the outside of the plane.. remember its corrosive to the alu too.... but, remember the bottles will sometimes implode when you land... or explode when you climb and decompress... too... something to think about... smile... maybe its just better to take a break every 3 hrs.. or so... GMAs....
Unread 09-04-02, 08:13 PM

Sporty's special relief system

By all means don't use those things if they are old, just used mines, and they were stored in the plane for about four years, it's really complicated to hold on to it for the rest of the flight if for whatever reason the liquid doesn't get converted into gel or solid as it's suposed to... yes you guessed it, it doesn't always work I CAN tell you about it. My wife wasn't too happy about holding it either, thank god we improvised a couple of bags and hanged the package to the small hanger thing on the rear seats.

I am going back to the old trustable milk bottle...

Regards,

Ignacio

BTW: I never new if the things worked when new, because never tries them.
Unread 09-04-02, 09:42 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
re p fuel

Skyking / Kevin

Mine is a 74 P s/n 170 and I have 148 gallons of fuel. Apparently some 1974's came out with the large tanks.

Take a look in the POH and there is an endurance of 17 hrs for the P 337. now you need more than a relief tube <G>

PIREP

5B2 (Saratoga Springs) has fuel for 1.90 and it is NOT self serve. They provided me with a nice car for the day (gratis) and besides changed out my brake shoes on a Holiday.

I consider this to be one of the TOP 5 CLASSY FBO's that I have been too. A solid "10". Great town to visit. Horse racing at it's finest. Oh... and a large red carpet to boot!

Sure beats the 3.35 a gallon at Nantucket and the " what you only wanted 30 gallons of fuel? Sorry we topped your tanks....". This was at OWD.

Second time at OWD I received the "2X4". Should have learned my lesson first time around paying 400 dollars for an oil change! Pretty crafty to say the least.

Bob
Unread 09-05-02, 04:01 AM

Kevin McDole is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Relief Tube Usage

My $0.02 for those who plan to use a relief tube for the first time ...

Before you begin, confirm the tube is operational by pouring some water through it. This will confirm that it isn't frozen shut from the last time you used it. You certainly will have a problem on your hands if you start peeing into a blocked tube. <grin>

Also, when you're done, pour some more water through it to rinse out all the corrosive stuff you just sent down the tube. And then hold it open for a little bit to allow the air to clear out the liquid (so it won't be frozen next time you need it).
Unread 09-05-02, 12:05 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

Smile Now that is cold....

well that is cold... what do you do if it is blocked with ice???? well leave the valve open and it won't because it will allow air to pass thru and keep it clear... but, wouldn't you know it your have to go.. bad... reach for the tube and its frozen... wow thats really cold... could that be considered a emergency???? would that warm cup of coffee... defrost the tube... or would it be better to drink it and smile...

I still say it makes a good vacuum cleaner hose... when it works... but, remember that rear prop is going to dice anything up that goes its way... smile...

Better to plan stops along the way... and enjoy the ride.... don't they have a pill that will plug you up...
Unread 09-05-02, 03:32 PM
Jim Rainer

Fuel Consumption/relief tubes

Seems there is no good relief for all occasions. Bob Cook, I think that is 7 hours not 17 hours endurance for P models w long range tanks. That'd be 4.3 gph per engine to dry tanks and I think they burn almost that much at idle!
Unread 09-05-02, 04:47 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
jim

Jim

Would I give you a snow job?

Sorry, it is 17 hrs max endurance and it is listed in either the front inside or the rear inside page of the POH / 1974 manual. 148/17=8.7 g/hr /2 = 4.35 gph/engine.

I don't have mine here but I am sure someone can verify it.

AT 20k ft you become dehydrated enough that a relief tube is almost not necessary. <G>

Skyking-- do you have your poh with you?

bob
Unread 09-05-02, 05:00 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

Wink You have to watch Bob....

Yep.. yep.. 17 hrs is just a little too long for the normal tanks on a skymaster... I am glad that I wasn't the only one that caught that...

You have to watch that Bob... he, I think came from texas originally... and has a tendency to stretch thing a little thin.. and then claims that its old age and memory loss.. when you catch him at it... but, maybe that might be the new leaning of peak stuff that he is doing now...

I hear if you add some goofie MJ smoke to the tanks you can get a lot more mileage out of the old bird... by flying upside down... something about the vector forces... lift is alway less than weight.. so if you invert them you will have more in the up direction that the down... or is it ... hmmm.. ah... well bob can explane it...

Hello larry... is the expert here... but, lately his bird has been dragging around the sky... after the dog protested and claimed union wages or else....and the plane hasn't flown the same since (the weight shifted to the front the the dog gone CG is too far forward now and he is creating more parasitic induced drag) the dog went out on strike taking a non-union job and is now working as a security representive... some say his dog gone flying days are over.... smile GMAs
Unread 10-13-15, 12:13 AM

CO_Skymaster is on a distinguished road
Looks like a good thread to ask this question...

I'm thinking of adding a relief tube duirng my next annual. I was looking at aircraft spruce for the equipment and it looks like the opening to the outside goes through a venturi discharge. For those who have one, I have a couple questions:

1. Where would be the best place to place the outlet, under the fusalage just before the landing gear doors is my first thought (but, is there a problem placing it there such and ice freezing the doors closed for example).

2. Since our aircraft are Skymasters, does the rear engine tend to spray the output all over the tail section? Someone mention corrosion problems. (The best way I think to protect myself is a good protection coating and spray off the aircraft after a flight where I used the tube).

Thanks for any insight,

Karl
Unread 10-13-15, 02:46 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Is there an STC or just field approval?

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years