Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 02-07-12, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree with Jerry that the battery is often the problem. I get more like 3 years on mine, but I "recondition" them every 9 months or so. Take it out, fill as specified with distilled water (you will find several cells way low), then trickle charge overnight at the 2 amp rate. Most 24V chargers have an automatic 2 amp rate.

I actually go further. I downloaded the online battery charging directions from Gill, read that there is an optimum voltage that should be maintained during the trickle charge, and (after some calculations and testing) devised a line of resistors (bought from Radio Shack) that I put in line between the battery and the charger. I do it during the day, rather than overnight, and as the battery charges I measure voltage at the battery posts and adjust the resistance to provide the optimum voltage. In the first 4 hours or so, I measure and change resistance roughly every hour, then make a final resistance adjustment about 3 - 4 hours later, then there is no change needed thru the final 6 hours or so.

Gill and others sell constant-voltage chargers that do this automatically, but they are expensive. With $5 of resistors and a little TLC I accomplish the same thing.

Ernie