Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-28-06, 12:57 PM

big al 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
check your freck'en hyd hoses !!!!!!

nose gear hyd hose sprouted an pin hole and with 1,000's of psi pumps out all the fluid in a short period of time! so the bitch was bellied in. with engines off, glided in in. nose gear went forward with high angle of attck and locked. no belly damage all bottom antennas ok. had removed the clam doors with a mod so only the small long doors acted as skis and my traing wheels (the boom lower fiberglass fairings ground down to the bottom of the rear tail light. minor windmilling damage on the back prop. settled down around 55mph.
Unread 08-28-06, 06:00 PM

Ed Lutz is on a distinguished road
Oouch,

Rick is your bird the electric or engine driven unit hydrualic unit? Did you have the "blue hose"? I just had my hoses inspected last week, and was told of a similiar problem where the hose blew on a 73 P model, but the electric pump was shut down before he lost all fluid.

Eddie
Unread 08-29-06, 12:37 PM

big al 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
ed
it's an electric power pack, just poped up the gear handel and went on my way, i usally check for the amber to come on. this time i didn't and didn't pay attention to the feel of the gear being stored. so 25 miles later i started to look as it was not very fast. never heard the pump running, finally smelled it frying. i don't know about blue hoses, the ones i have are orginal.
Unread 08-29-06, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Had a similar case about 2 years ago, where the pump never stopped. Like you, I failed to look for the yellow light. Like you, didn't realize it until I started to look for worn-oil smell which my subconscious had been tracking for some minutes. Unlike you, I didn't pop a hose, so all ended well. From then on, looking for that yellow light has become as important as looking for the green one.

Ernie
Unread 08-30-06, 10:17 PM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
Well.
I'm taking the plane down for annual next month.
I have been thinking for the last couple of years that I should replace those hydraulic hoses. They are original. I guess this thread cinches it.
Unread 08-31-06, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had good experience with Precision Hose Tech. -- 800-331-5946 (www.aircrafthose.com) -- and they will make a full set of hyd hoses for your aircraft either based on the make, model and S/N, or if you give them the Cessna P/N at a small fraction of the Cessna price. Here is the message exchange I had with them on hyd hoses; I'm including it because you will see the price (2 years ago) and the P/Ns, which should apply to your 76 P337G (but check, don't rely on me):

From me to PHT
To: sales@aircrafthose.com
Subject: Landing Gear Hoses

I've bought before from Mike for my old Skymaster N86377. Would like you to quote a full set of landing gear hoses for my 1973 Skymaster 337G S/N 01501. I understand that you do not have a kit specification, so the part numbers are shown below (qty is 1 unless otherwise indicated). Incidentally, to help you with future sales, the parts catalog indicates that these hoses fit all Skymasters (including pressurized and turbos) from 1973 to 1980, covering S/Ns 014634 to 01922.

1580013-3
1580013-4
S1236-3-0092
S1236-3-0140
S1236-4-0074 qty 2
S1236C4-0100 qty 2
S1236C4-0120 qty 2
S2178-4-0120A
S2178-4-0134A qty 2
S2178-4-0140A qty 3

If you manufacture several different types of hoses for this application (as opposed to a single product type), please quote on your recommended product plus the one closest to standard Cessna quality.

From PHT to me: Thanks for the request. Sorry for the delay. The standard kit which you gave me will be 537.85. We can also build these in teflon hose which has the stainless braid with stainless nuts. The price for teflon will be 511.81. Delivery is 1 to 2 days.

Thank You
Ashley Wilson
918-835-3660