Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-26-10, 10:49 AM

rmorris is an unknown quantity at this point
landing gear transition on takeoff

I have my plane being looked at right now for a landing gear issue, but so far they haven't figure out anything. I thought I would post the symptoms, and get extra input on possible items or see if others have had and solved a similar issue.

On landing, the gear transitions down fine, locks into place, and the handle kicks back to the neutral position.

On take-off, the gear appears to transition up, but the handle never kicks back down to neutral. I put it back into neutral on my own, after waiting about 30 seconds or so for it - so that the pump didn't keep pressurzing the system and maybe causing me not to have enough fluid for it to tranition down when it came time to land. Tower calls and says that it looks like th gear doors didn't fully close. I try putting it up again, and then wait 30 seconds to a minute and put it back into neutral on my own (because it does not kick down). Same comments from tower. I put it in the down position, and it tranistions down and locks into place with no issue, handle kicks back to neutral. I put it up again, and this time the handle kicks back to neutral on its own, tower says it all looks good on flyby, and I'm on my way.

This has happened a couple of times recently. Topping off the hydraulic fluid doesn't reflect anything unusual in terms of amount.

Mechanic has it up on jacks now, and using hand pump to pressurize (they don't have mule). Says it transitions properly in both directions.

I am going to replace all the hydraulic hoses, just because they are really old.

Any suggestions, thoughts, or comments?

-robert
rmorris@agsi.us
________
BUY GLASS BONG

Last edited by rmorris : 03-12-11 at 12:07 PM.
Unread 08-26-10, 11:04 AM
Tony

Mine did the exact same thing. The microswitch on the power pack had a small crack in it. I changed that and it solved the problem. The switch is only about 15 dollars from Cessna.
Unread 08-26-10, 02:41 PM

Hank is an unknown quantity at this point
Had the same exact problem, cleaning and adjusting the up lock switch on each of the main gear cured it, and the problem has gone away.
Unread 08-27-10, 08:09 AM

Roger is an unknown quantity at this point
Buy some electronic cleaner in a spay can (it's like brake cleaner, only you can use it on electronics). Pump the doors open and spray all of your door switches and locks. Then blow them off with air. That should more than likely fix it. I am however surprised that you have to ask the tower if your doors are closed. You should instal a mirror or two so you can always be sure. Good Luck
Unread 08-28-10, 07:16 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Let's see, the aircraft in question is a 1968? Is that correct Robert? Tony, are you referring to the electric power pack? The 68 is gear pump on the accessory case of the front engine. Just to keep things straight let's make sure which aircraft model we are troubleshooting. It sounds like the main gear switches are not functioning properly or have a short, crack, etc. That's usually the case as Hank pointed out.

I would not use the E pump for the testing while on jacks. The E pump is not for continuous use. I agree that it is a good idea to at least lower the gear once in a while with the E pump but retracting it will not give you the same operation as the gear driven pump on the engine. You don't need a mule to do this function. Contact Owen Bell and he has a socket bit that is the female to the gear pump. Simply remove the pump from the front engine and use an electric powered drill to transition the gear. It works great. And you will own the tool for the rest of the time to swing your gear for each annual. It's well worth the money.

See my video on you tube http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...ead.php?t=2656

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 08-28-10, 11:46 AM
Tony

I'm referring to the switch on the hydraulic power pack.

Last edited by Tony : 08-28-10 at 11:55 AM.
Unread 08-29-10, 04:06 PM
Tony

Here's a pic from the 1965-1969 parts catalog. The switch I'm referring to is #16.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gear switch.jpg
Views:	1131
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1156