Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 06-28-17, 01:57 PM

JamesC is on a distinguished road
Same as you plus DG issues (installed an Aspen PFD), hidden hydraulic system corrosion, needed pressure controller overhaul, had turbo failure in flight, diode board issues, belly drain issues and water getting in the belly. Plus a bunch of other stuff, all fixed for $$$ - my wife was really impressed.
Unread 06-30-17, 08:29 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
P337g

Hi, I own N34EC, a 1975 P337G unit. This is my second Skymaster having owned a 1971F unit earlier. I purchased N34EC in 1997....20 years now. My yearly annual runs between $2300 and $3500 depending on extra things I want done. If you plan to fly high, I highly recommend the P unit. The 1975 model has a 150 gallon total fuel capacity (148 gallon useful). Three tanks in each wing and unless you want to cross feed, you don't have to switch tanks. My plane is equipped with spoilers so I don't worry about shock cooling engines to make quick alt. Changes. In fact, i don't even change throttle or MP when using spoilers. I also have A/C and highly recommended for the P model. Can get warm in cabin. One factor you should be aware of, I generally burn 25 to 27 gallons per hour with the rear engine using about 1 o 1.5 gallons more per hour. I am a believer of operating rich of peak so engines stay cool. About cylinder head temperatures in the range of 340 to 375 degrees. Exhaust temp. In range of 1100 to 1350 with the higher temps in the rear engine. N34EC is equipped with TSIO 360 CB engines. Have any other questions on the P unit feel free to send me an e-mail.

Good luck on your choice!

Cheers
Jerry
Unread 07-04-17, 10:51 PM

LostKiwi is on a distinguished road
to P or not to P?

I agonized over the same thing. Once I'd decided I needed a Skymaster, I really did go back and forth over buying a P model, and ended up buying a Normally aspirated 337G.

My reasoning was much the same as yours, I live in the rockies, and for me to go anywhere requires some serious altitude. Having the second stove when flying over tiger country gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Happy to report that the NA Skymaster has no real problems with that mission. Climbs like a missile if you want it to, and it'll hold a 500 ft/min cruise climb all the way up to 12,000 ft. Goes in and out of short strips, big, roomy, comfortable cabin for us "husky" gentlemen, and it has more useful load than you can shake a stick at. Absolutely the right airplane for the job.

It does hurt seeing the P model boys up at 17 or 18k with 250 knt ground speeds though - I want a piece of that! Maybe my next airplane......

Leighton.

Last edited by LostKiwi : 07-04-17 at 10:55 PM.
Unread 07-05-17, 10:30 AM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
P vs na

Something to keep in mind when over the mountains, by book values, the P unit will hold 18,500 feet alt on either engine should you experience an engine out. The NA unit will hold about 5,500 feet on the front engine and 7,500 feet on rear engine. Those values were taken from the 1971 F unit. This is why I chose the P unit years ago.