Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 07-11-22, 08:18 PM

Rick Erwin is on a distinguished road
Has anyone had problems with a uAvionix Tail Beacon on a Skymaster?

I have a Tail Beacon installed but have yet to flight test it.

I just heard there might be a periodic problem with the horizontal stabilizer blocking the GPS satellite's signal to the device.

Has anyone here experienced that, or heard of that?

Thanks,

Rick
Unread 07-12-22, 12:02 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
Hi Rick...

I have not heard of this issue. As you may remember I installed the SkyBeacon on the wingtip of my airplane. I have had no issues with this installation that I am aware of. Having said that, my suggestion would be to talk with uAvionix about it. I have spoken with them a few times with excellent support. When I was deciding what route to take on this, I had spoken with them about the Tail Beacon option sending them photos of the arrangement on the tail of my C337. They believed at that time that this location on the C337 would be just fine. You may want to ask tech support if they are aware of any other C337 operators reporting this issue. Where did you hear of this issue?

Ed
Unread 07-12-22, 12:11 PM

Hi Ed,

Seth mentioned this to me yesterday, I’m not sure where he heard it from.

After looking at the geometry of the mounting location for the TailBeacon and the plane of the horizontal stabilizer, I can see there might be a problem as the stab certainly blocks a portion of the sky. Seth called uAvionix and they said they are not aware of any issue.

Still searching for someone to either dispute, or verify the veracity of the concern.

Rick
Unread 07-12-22, 03:28 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
I've had no issues with mine other than the fact that when it was first installed, the wrong tail number was programmed into it. It was one letter off. Funny thing is I flew it this way for months and never heard a peep from ATC about it, and my IFR and flight-following flight tracks still showed up on FlightAware.

I only discovered it when I downloaded the app that connects to it via bluetooth. It was an easy fix.

The other issue (if you care) is you can only legally take it up to FL180. You need a 1090-type ADS-B to go above that altitude. Nor can you go international with it. Again, not sure ATC would even care about the altitude restriction, but that's what the regs say.

Final point - A 978 ADS-B like the TailBeacon can be legally switched off during flight, as long as the airspace does not require it. A 1090-type cannot.

Last edited by mshac : 07-12-22 at 03:37 PM.
Unread 07-12-22, 05:10 PM

edasmus is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to edasmus
I suppose that is a good sign that uAvionix is not aware of any issue. I do however understand your logic and the reason for the concern. I feel like I have seen other C337's on this forum with the same install you have with the TailBeacon. Hopefully you will receive some feedback from someone. In the mean time, you will certainly be able to figure out quickly once you're back in the air if the issue actually exists. Good Luck....

Ed
Unread 07-13-22, 02:42 AM

Ed and Mark, thank you for your input, I do appreciate it.

Rick
Unread 07-14-22, 06:38 PM

cjordan is on a distinguished road
Have never had an issue with tail beacon other than the 1st received unit would always fail the tests. We thought wiring, ground, bad switch, interference from alternators, etc. Did a flight with everything off, radios, alternators, everything…Also rattled the wires like crazy and always had power. Ended up deciding the unit was defective. Uavionix was very helpful but doubted that the unit was the issue. They agreed to swap us out with a different unit and the problem was resolved on 1st test flight. Probably rare, but could save some time and troubleshooting for others if ever a similar problem.
Unread 07-14-22, 06:50 PM

Jhogan0101 is on a distinguished road
I had a tail unit that went south on me after 4 months of use. I sent to them and they replaced, then i purchased a gtx345 and ebay’d the uavionix gear.
Unread 07-15-22, 12:12 AM

Thank you guys for the information. I’ve decided to go with a GDL 88.
That will give me the ADS-B out as well as add ADS-B in.

Rick