Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 01-03-03, 11:00 PM

Rickskymaster is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Have you ever had an REAL engine failure

I have been dong a lot of simulated engine failures lately.
But have not actually come to "Feather" the operating engine as of yet.
This got be thinking, has anyone had a REAL engine failure and was it on take off and/or enroute.
Also, I am still thinking about the proper time to retract the gear?
If an engine failure was to occur after the gear was retracted, what is the best procedure?
I look forward to everyone's opinion as it helps a new Skymaster owner think thru the issues.
Thanks
N48AT
Unread 01-04-03, 12:13 AM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
I WAS FLYING AT 3000 FT AGL
ENROUTE ON A 1 HOUR FLIGHT
VFR WHEN A CYLINDER ON THE FRONT ENGINE CAME LOOSE FROM THE BLOCK
MAKES A LOT OF NOISE SO I QUICKLY DETERMINED IT WAS THE FRONT ENGINE
I WAS VERY FAMILIAR WITH THE AREA AND KNEW THERE WAS AN AIRPORT JUST 10 MILES AWAY
IN IDAHO THAT'S PRETTY RARE BUT I HAPPEN TO BE IN THE RIGHT PLACE AT THE RIGHT TIME
I QUICKLY LOWERED THE GEAR AS I FEATHERED THE PROP AND SHUT DOWN THE FRONT ENGINE
AS I TOOK A DEEP BREATH AND CAUGHT UP WITH MY HEART RATE I RELIZED WITH THE LIGHT LOAD THAT I HAD THE AIRPLANE FLEW VERY NICELY ON THE REAR ENGINE
I ACCTUALLY DEBATED IF I SHOULD LAND AT THE AIRPORT 10 MILES AWAY OR PROCEED ON TO MY DESTINATION 40 MILES AHEAD
AFTER THINKING ABOUT THAT FOR ABOUT A HALF A SECOND I LANDED AT THE AIRPORT THAT WAS 10 MILES AWAY AND KISSED THE GROUND
THE AIRPLANE HANDLED JUST FINE

NO DAMAGE TO THE AIRPLANE OR THE ENGINE
A NEW JUG AND I FLEW IT BACK HOME A WEEK LATER

WITH AN ENGINE FAILURE AND THE GEAR RETRACTED THE BEST SOULUTION IS TO REMAIN CALM, THINK OUT YOUR PROCEEDURES, AND FLY THE AIRPLANE TO THE CLOSEST AVAILABLE RUNWAY
Unread 01-04-03, 01:50 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
I had a partial power loss (about half) during cruise due to a turbocharger that self-destructed. It was a non-event.

I have never had a mechanically induced engine failure on takeoff. But. During my initial multi training (in a 337), I was making a normal approach to our home airport. At about 100', he screamed "go around go around go around". I firewalled both throttles, and at that moment, he pulled the mixture on the rear engine. I froze for a moment in shock, since I had had multi-engine drills in RTC's simulator, but during this phase of my initial training, he had never pulled an engine on me. The airspeed was bleeding off, and the airplane began to sink. He looked at me and said "well, what are you going to do?". I woke up, and ran the drill: power up, clean up the flaps, identify, verify, feather. After I got the rear engine feathered, I regained blue line and began to climb agonizingly slowly, maybe 200 fpm. When I was sure I could stand the temporary sink, I raised the gear, and climbed for a while. I also had to do a 90 degree turn toward lower terrain. I climbed to pattern altitude, and we returned to the pattern, and I did a single engine approach, with the instructor talking me throgh the entire process.

When we finished, he told me he would never do that again, but that he felt every student should experience something close to the real thing once in their life, and that the best time to do it was when I was least expecting it. And he kept his word, he never pulled the mixture again.

Many will argue that it was unsafe of him to do that, and you are probably right. But it *was* very worthwhile to see exactly how crappy that airplane would perform on one engine, at sea level, on a 70 degree day. (Still far better than any other twin in or near its class. I did a simulated engine failure in a normally aspirated 310 at 3000' on a hot day and could not maintain altitude, let alone climb, and neither could the instructor.) It was worthwhile to see what the airplane was like before, during and after feathering. There was a significant increase in risk on that flight as well.

250 fpm is like a C150 on a hot day I guess. But it sure seemed slow. It took a lot of space to get back to pattern altitude.

End of war story. You asked...;-)

Kevin
Unread 01-04-03, 08:14 AM

Eustacio-Chachi is an unknown quantity at this point
After a 50 hours inspection me and my wife where going on a two hours flight and we had full tanks (120 gal), on take off I heard on the radio somebody say "the airplane that just took off has one engine smoking" Ok, I said thatīs me, but since the airplane has just come out of an inspection in which they had changed oil and filters I thoght it could be some residual oil, anyway from that moment my eyes where on the engine instruments. At about 300 feet agl the oil pressure on the front engine startet to drop so I feathered the propeller and shut the engine down, flew around the pattern and landed. The mechanic that has changed the oil and filter did not put the gasked on the filter of the front engine. The airplane flew like any single engine with two people and full of fuel, no damage to the engine but an oil shower to the airplane. Chachi
Unread 01-04-03, 12:02 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Rear Engine

I was making a short trip, abt 50 miles, to another airport. Took off with full tanks and 3 people. When I started my descent, I realized that the throttle cable to the rear engine had some how frozen, and could not throttle back. I pulled back the front engine, and climbed to slow down, dropped the gear, then pulled mixture, and feather, and did a normal pattern to land. It was a non event.
Now, in the Beech Travel Air I got my ME rating in, a single engine landing was a HUGE event. A friend owns a Seneca, and out of annual, went up with his Mechanic. Had smoke from an engine right after take off, went around and landed, singel engine, but had to get a tow from the taxiway, since he had no directional control on the ground.
Unread 01-04-03, 02:04 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
engine out

With my 1972 337F I had several engine out events. One at 10,000 feet over George. I was not able to hold 10,000 feet but circled above an airport down to 8,000 feet and was able to hold that alt. until I trouble shot down engine and did a restart. Mixture problem. Non event. I also with the same plane lost front engine on take off out of Mackinac Island, Michigan (MCD) 3500 ft runway. Four people on board and about 85 gallons fuel. Lost engine just before rotation. I was able to abort take off with plenty of runway to spare. Also non event. Same plane shooting an ILS into Appleton. Wisc. in heavy wet snow, like Larry, front engine throttle became packed with ice/snow and was not able to reduce power. I did the approach with back engine at much reduced power and when I was about to land, I shut the mixture off on front engine so engine would stall. It turned out well and to be a non event, but at the time, it seemed to be a major event.

With my P337G first flight out of ann. a few months back, like Chachi's experience, blew new gasket on front engine oil filter adpt. and lost all oil pressure on that engine. I was able to shut engine down quickly with no damage to engine and did a 180 degree turn back to BTL about 25 miles. Non event again, but your mind does work overtime and play tricks like---GEE WHAT IF I LOSS THE OTHER ENGINE!!! You sure don't want to take that chance and fly far on only one engine. Find an airport close by and land. You will find if you practice engine out events often as I do, they become non events when it really happens.

Jerry
N34EC
Unread 01-05-03, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Taking off from a Bahamian out-island in my old 1969 337D, with 100 gal. fuel and 3 adults + luggage, the rear engine started a HUGE racket at 500 ft. (later determined to be a busted rocker arm stud, so one valve wasn't opening). Feathered rear engine, had no trouble climbing slowly to 1000 ft pattern altitude and circled around to land. Non event but glad I was on a Skymaster.

Ernie
Unread 01-06-03, 12:12 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
seems to be a common prblem with the rear engine, had a rear rocker are stud also go south @10k enroute from kingman az. to prescott az. 1/2 fuel and only two asboard. shut the back down and coasted into kprc with no problems.
Unread 01-07-03, 06:20 PM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Engine failure

Yes, front engine feathered itself on CAVU day by myself with about 120 gls fuel in 1976 337G, normally aspirated. After I settled down, I decided to continue to my destination - my home field where my mechanic was. Flat Mississippi Delta under me and about a 45 minute flight after I lost about 20 knots in speed.

A gasket blew in the prop governor causing the prop to feather. Most props fail to low pitch (high RPM) when they fail but the IO360 fails to the feather position. Replaced the govenor with another one and didn't lose a thing - all in warranty - the goveror that failed had about 25 hours on it.

I don't know if I would call it a non-event because it raises one's adrenalin level considerably and I kept my eye on a strip within gliding range all the way back!

That's 4th engine failure in 46 years, 5000 hrs; three of them the same IO-360 engine (2 in 337's and one in a Seneca.)
Unread 01-07-03, 09:34 PM
Keven

Really?

Jim:

I never knew that the prop governors on IO360's fail to full feathered position. I had never heard that before.

Can anyone shed light on the reverse safety engineering for these prop governors?

KevEn
________
ATIVAN REHAB FORUMS

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:57 PM.
Unread 01-07-03, 09:53 PM

jhickam is an unknown quantity at this point
Rear prop governor

I had the rear govener fail and go to feather just as I was roatating at LWS about two years ago. It was a non event, just shut down and brake to a stop. In the days before before it failed I seemed to notice it was drifting about 25 rpm each way in cruise.
Unread 01-21-03, 12:17 AM

Francisco is on a distinguished road
Practicing for my center line trust rating the instructor pulled the mixure on the rear engine I was sweting adrenalin when after we fethered it we could not get the aux fuel pump to work so we could not start it we were at 4000 feet and were holding if not climing at about 170 fpm we piddle for about 15 minutes (an eternity) with the primer no luck finally I said lets fly to Stennis field and landed with the front engine just like a 172 in the grown we got it reestarted and replaced the aux fuel pump.

nerve racking but what agreate feeling to know that you can still make it home to sleep at night.

P: I wonder how the single engine versus tween engine airplanes statistics would shift if every tween engine pilot reported
the lifes saved by arriving safely to the nearest airport.

that is another topic

care to talk about it
Unread 01-21-03, 09:54 AM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool During training...

several years ago at altitude we shut the front engine down and feathered it... When we tried to move the prop control forward it would not move. After landing and some investigating, we could see where the rod comes thru the baffling, it had got hung up. The bracket that supported the baffling at the center of it had broken and allowed the baffle to shift and prevented the rod from moving forward.... Yes, had (4) turbines fail over the years, (2) catastrofic, a roll back and a fuel pump shaft failure.... Guy, old72driver....
Unread 02-15-03, 01:30 AM

Thumbs up

5000 feet above the San Fernando Valley in California the crankshaft in my rear engine broke. I was unable to feather the rear prop. I made a single engine approach to Burbank airport. Came over the fence a little hot (nervous), but was glad there was over 8000 ft of runway in front of me.

At engine autopsy it was clear that the crank had failed eventhough it had been tested according to Contin. specs at overhaul. Mine was only one of two crank failures in normally aspirated IO-360's.
Unread 02-18-03, 04:24 PM

Wim van Genk is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

I should suggest with a 337:
After take off - Flaps up
wait until 400ft above ground and then
Gear up
If engine fails blue line!
This procedure seemes very good
Because the gear doors give so much drag!
From 400 ft ground you can still climb at +/- 200ft/min to 600ft or higher whats often enough to go back for landing!

Never panick!