Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 12-17-02, 02:42 PM

Riley P337 wanted

I am actively looking for an exceptional Riley P337. The ideal plane will have Full Riley conversion, A/C, Garmin, boots, low-mid time engines. I am willing to add or upgrade, but not looking for a project. I have a known ice, GNS530, T210 for sale or trade.
Unread 12-17-02, 04:20 PM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
riley

Eric

there is (was) a gorgeous fully loaded p337 for sale at NORWOOD OWD in Boston. The person that owned it traded it in for a TURBINE P210 from O&N in PA. Try the FBO at Norwood or O&N if you cannot find him.

It had everything but the bathroom. dual 530s, sandel, etc.etc.

can't think of others at the moment. I assume you checked with Riley.

bob
Unread 12-17-02, 09:13 PM

Guy Paris is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 337 SKYROCKET....

Eric, In the Atlantic Flyer there is a 1980 Cessna P-337H SKYROCKET 2050 TT 650/940 SFRM, Full De-Ice, Collins IFR, Garmin 530. $225,000. (631) 588-5400. 631 is Eastern Long Island, I don't know a thing about it, its just in this Aviation Flyer Dec. 2002... maybe one of the guys down that way could do a pre look for you. Guy, old72driver....

Just looking in Trade-A-Plane and it says a 430, S-Tec 65, intercoolers and much more. Asking $210,000. Vince, same number....

Also a 77 Riley in MN, 1500 TT. $245,000 (763) 785-5745, in T-A-P....

Last edited by Guy Paris : 12-17-02 at 09:29 PM.
Unread 12-18-02, 12:34 AM

RRossner is an unknown quantity at this point
Riley P337 Wanted

Eric,
OakTree Aviation Services works directly with the people at Riley and Tule River Aero Ind. in the marketing of Skyrockets and Super Skyrocket aircraft. We currently have a very nice 79 Skyrockets that has everything that your looking for plus we would consider your trade.

Visit us at www.oaktreeaviation.com or give us a call at 559/ 561-7510.

Regards,

Rick Rossner
Unread 12-18-02, 09:30 PM
Keven

Geez!

Am I outta touch with prices or what!!!!!

What's the number to Adams Aircraft again?

I used to think two or three bills could buy me a nicely loaded pressurized, turbo Rocket with pretty slick avionics nearer to retirement.

I guess I'll resign myself to my poor man's version of normally aspirated flying until I hit the lottery or that 8 figure sexy case I'm still looking for comes along . . . .

Cheers,

Keven
________
BODY SCIENCE

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 04:56 PM.
Unread 12-18-02, 10:18 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Nice P's without the Riley label and air conditioning can be had for $150,000 or less... Without boots, and Robertson and with average avionics, you can even get to $120,000 or so according to Vref, and I have seen them selling for that.

The word Riley (or Skyrocket LLC) on one of these airplanes is a very expensive word.

Kevin
(running to hide from Rocket owners)
Unread 12-18-02, 11:30 PM
N69S

re 337

Kevin

It is hard to find a GOOD "P" for much less than 180 -200. Most of what I have seen at 150 or less needs a lot of TLC and $$ to bring it up to standards and no boots.

Riley's have been going from 225 to 250 depending on options and time.

Amazing there was one with less than 1200 hrs... now that is a "queen".

Bob
Unread 12-18-02, 11:43 PM

Prices at your end of the country must be different than mine, or you have higher standards for a "good" P337. I have seen several go by in the range of 120K to 150K without boots. Someone on this board (I have forgotten who) was selling an airplane that seemed in all respects equivalent to mine (which I consider a "good" P model with boots and low time engines) and he was asking $155,000, expecting to get a bit less. If part of your definition of "good" is the larger tanks (is that '75 or '76, can't remember), then I agree with you, average price gets toward 180K.

Kevin
Unread 12-19-02, 09:17 AM
N69S

definition of good

my definition of a good p

flown at least 100 hrs /yr <3k hrs
regular maintenance
holds 3.5 diff on cabin
hyd hoses replaced in last five years
boots /hot prop
mid time engines with no oil leaks
good radios / king with rnav of some sort
long range tanks /180 gal
good glass <G>
paint 8 int leather /7-9
no corrosion
good logs
(doesn't need to be a riley)
later than 74/75 (big tanks)
working autopilot
HSI

bonus
hot plate (now7k new), garmin gps, cert gps /g, spoilers, airc cond, door seals, new glass, engine sync, shadin, jpi, stormscope, radar, filght director, tail strobe, sliding rear seat, new metal inst panel, HSI, horton stall ??,dual transponders
slaved RMI,nexrad, engine heaters, pressurized mags, new sound insulation.

It can cost 30-40k to bring up a hanger queen and forget about radios. Can cost 40k for autopilot and 530 stack (1).

I find that if a plane is not flown regularly the owner tends to scrimp on maint and consequently anything can cost money.... big time as you know. "P"s are Particularily problematic with all the systems. I don't think a first time owner gets into the problems until it is too late and most mechanics are not familiar enough to do a thorough pre purchase. Just figure the cost of replacing the cable seals on the cabin which can be easily overlooked.

want to add anything <G>
perhaps this would be a good excersize for all generic models and put it into new buyer questions.
catagories, 336, 337 pre 73, 337 post 73, turbo and "P".

Bob
Unread 12-19-02, 09:41 AM

I see how our definitions vary. Your definition of "good" is my definition of "best". The airplanes I am talking about fit all your qualifications (including my airplane) except the big tanks and cloth interior. So to each his own definition. I would love to have the big tanks, but decided I would rather not pay the 30K - 40K extra at the time I was looking for an airplane.

Since you kidded me about the glass *again*, I wish to point out in my own defense that my prepurchase for this airplane was *complete* annual. No more thorough prepurchase could have been done. So why did I get stuck with bad glass? Because the paint shop had concealed the damage with sealer around the edge of each window. This concealment had in fact passed 7 annuals from three different mechanics. Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you take a hit.

I am *very* happy with my airplane now...so the glass expense was worth it for me.

Kevin
Unread 12-20-02, 10:20 PM

Don Hickman is an unknown quantity at this point
After my plane gets its annual next month and 2 new engines, it will meet Bob's definition of "good." So I'll have about $230,000 in a plane that Bob says is worth 180-200,000. Should have replace the engines last year when I bought it instead of trying to get a year or two out of them. Would have saved about 25,000 on maintenance.

Then, again, I picked up a case of hangar rash yesterday. Dave (Bob and Larry, you remember Dave of police dog fame) was putting the plane into the hangar late last night and backed it into the wall. New right rudder on order. $igh.

As for Keven's sexy case, I've been looking a lot longer than he has! Still no luck. But, hey! Powerball is over $200 million tomorrow!! Riley Rocket here I come!
Unread 12-20-02, 11:57 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Supr Skyrocket

hey, buy me a ticket too, Don. I promise to thank you, if I win.
Unread 12-21-02, 12:00 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Bob's Good

My P337G, 1975 meets Bob's "GOOD" except I have high time engines. Like Don, once engines are done, I will really call it excellent.

Last year I flew 366 hours. Average about 250 to 300 hours a year. I have one mechanic with A&P & IA that takes care of the plane. He knows the P337 in and out. All work is done im my hangar in Battle Creek. All equipment, wing and boom jacks, air compressor including heat in the hangar. Quite frankly, If I had to rely on an FBO to take care of the plane, I would sell the P unit and go back to a normal asp. skymaster. When Ducan Aviation took care of the plane, first Ann. was $25,000 and the 2nd was $20,000. I now have it down to $2,500. The plane has Riley A.C.,
Intercoolers, Spoilers and most toys on the panel. Riley A.C. in the beginning was lots of problems as well as the spoilers and heater. Most other systems have been pretty good except just replaced rear turbo when we found a crack in the casing.

Jerry
N34EC
Unread 12-21-02, 02:09 PM
N69S

misc

Kevin... you brought up the glass but you were not the only person that missed this one. There are things that no pre purchase will find ..... believe me! I replaced two vacuum pumps within 20 hrs after purchase...... then the fun began!

Don. Good thing you are in a profession that will support your hobbies...like all of us. I did the same thing two weeks ago when the tug slipped on ice. no damage but now I put up a "curtain" so I know when i am foot or so away.. the old cow bell thing.

Gerry.
Did the annual last year for about the same. everything went smooth. You really need to be prudent and monitor the job. I have had 600 dollar oil changes but not anymore. Hopefully near the same this year but have reserved more.

Prices
They seem to be all over the map. Guess it is based on supply and demand. In any event I think we would be hardpressed to replace what we have for what we can get? does this make sense?

Heading south tomorrow at 20kft. flt time reduced by 1hr from 4 to 3. love the winter daldrums <G>.

seasons greetings

bob
Unread 12-21-02, 10:19 PM

Wayne Pearce is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Price Comparison

Interesting to see what you guys pay for skymasters, given that over here the aircraft still suffers a great deal of "mis-understanding" or simply a false bad reputation and as always by people that have'nt been within a 100 metres of one let alone understand the operating characteristics of one.

Here, you can buy a G model in original condition needing some TLC for about A$170 000.00 if the machine has any upgrades then the prices start to escalate remembering the exchange rate of approx 0.56 in the dollar. I believe we have only 2 or 3 P models on our register given that our highest mountain is about 7650 feet.

I saw an F model advertised the other day for about A$180 k but it looked to be a bit above the average. So in summary for G's norm aspirated you can pay anywhere between A$150 k to A$250 k probably P & T's are about A$30 k dearer but not much of a requirement for them over here.

Have a good Xmas ............ Wayne