Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-22-19, 05:50 PM

wslade2 is on a distinguished road
primary engine gauge options

so, the old original mechanical square gauges for primary engine function (oil press/oil temp/fuel level/CHT) are iffy, or not functional or unreadable. Tachs, fuel flow and manifold pressure ok and I like them, want to keep them. Just curious what others have done. Looking at everything: rebuild/repair old, put in multifunction electronic replacements (like Electronics International), any other replacement options that are certified (are there some electromechanical modular options?). Without spending a mint...

Last edited by wslade2 : 06-22-19 at 05:57 PM.
Unread 06-23-19, 01:26 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
In all the years I have flown my inline machine I have never really worried about the factory gauges. Sure some of that fancy stuff out there would be sweet but put your money where it helps you fly the airplane and be safe. Once you know your airplane the factory indicators are relative. I watch for differences not accuracy. I have an engine monitor with fuel flow because that's the heart of our system. Money well spent, but unless everything else on the panel to fly is updated, ie. Auto pilot, HSI, GPS, ADS-b, Engine monitor, fuel flow, attitude......the factory gauges are the last for me. Just my thoughts

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 06-24-19, 01:32 PM

JAG is on a distinguished road
Insight

wslade2,
The Cessna engine gauges are, in my opinion, a poor representation of engine condition. As Herb notes - they give some relative comparison, however, I like to have a little more accuracy when it comes to CHT, EGT, oil temp and oil pressure.

I have installed an Insight G4 Twin. While this is not a replacement for the entire Cessna gauges, it give me a highly accurate and quality display for all parameters except for Fuel Quantity. I still need to maintain the gauges however - but the options to replace them with something like the EDM-960 was more than I wanted to spend ($6k versus $17k). Not to mention cost of install...I was able to install the G4 myself and it was very straightforward and did not require major rework to the instrument panel.
Jeff
Unread 06-25-19, 11:08 AM

kilr4d is on a distinguished road
I also have the Insight G4. Good bang for the buck. Lots on information in a small package. Downloadable via the SD card.

No regrets.
CNC3

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: