Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-13-19, 02:14 PM

Multimotor is on a distinguished road
1973 P337 Factory Recall?

According to Aviation Consumer, at http://www.aviationconsumer.com/issu...er_7278-1.html

"For example, the pressurized Skymaster was initially such a disaster that the first year's production was recalled to the factory for complete remanufacture and modification."

There is no citation for this comment, and I can't find any other evidence of that happening, either here (with my search challenged skills) or on the internet.

True? False?

If true, what specifically was done during the "complete remanufacture and modification"?
Unread 10-06-20, 07:42 PM

Bumped.

We have some new blood on the board as well as more activity from long-time participants, so I'm hoping there is an answer to the original question from the group.

Since posting the question, I did have a chance to review the logbooks of a '73 P, and saw an entry that said Complied with Operation Skymaster, with no details. Searching here and the web produced no results from searching on that phrase.

That logbook entry was not from the Cessna factory, so Aviation Consumer's comment seems rather hyperbolic.

Anyone?
Unread 10-06-20, 08:32 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Color me interested.

I operate a 1978 P337H. If this is legit, I want to know about it.
Unread 10-06-20, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshac View Post
I operate a 1978 P337H. If this is legit, I want to know about it.
It just applies to the first year (1973), according to the article.
Unread 10-15-20, 08:23 PM

This is probably what the Aviation Consumer's article is talking about. It's not a "factory recall" as such. It is pretty serious, but the modifications/repairs were not done at the factory, it is not, in fact, a complete re-manufacture and modification, nor does it affect the entire 1973 production run.

https://ww2.txtav.com/TechnicalPubli...Number=ME73-12

Yellow journalism comes to mind. AC will not be my reference of choice for making any aircraft purchase decisions.
Unread 10-16-20, 12:05 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Just read it, holy heck that is a lot of stuff Cessna got wrong on the first batch of pressurized airplanes! Something like 24 major repairs/changes. One even calls for removing all the interior window molding and re-gluing the new moulding to the plexi windows before installation. Cessna allowed 10 hours labor just for that! In total, the labor was probably 100 hours or more, PER AIRCRAFT, plus all the parts they provided.

Must have been a costly campaign for Cessna, but they realized they better own up and fix the problems before the P-Model gained a bad rep in the marketplace.

Still surprised that with all Cessna's experience building airplanes, there were so many "screw ups" in the original P design. Something to do with Pawnee's first ever pressurized twin?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: