Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Unread 02-13-05, 09:09 PM

Pat Schmitz is an unknown quantity at this point
Marathon Key, FL

I flew from Iowa on Friday/Saturday to Marathon Key, Florida.

When I arrived - I found another skymaster here on the field - does it belong to anyone in the group?

I had to take advantage of the GREAT weather we had last Thur/Fri to make a quick trip down here... Had a 70 Knot Tailwind at 11,500'..... GPS said 255 - 265 knots....

For those that are unsure about flying to Key West in May... I 'HIGHLY' recommend it.. This was my first trip over the turquoise waters.... It was FABULOUS. Having experienced this for the first time, I can only say I wish I lived closer to Florida - I'd be here every other weekend! For a midwesterner... the weather here was a much needed break from the usual low ceiling/fog this time of year.

I hope to be back in May, but it falls right after my annual, so if there are any squawks - it might keep me from making the trip in the 337.. :-(

I'll post more pictures later - unfortunately those taken over the keys were accidently deleted when I copied the files from the digital camera... We'll be back up again in the next day or two before heading home... will post more then!

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2175.jpg (502.2 KB, 1185 views)
Unread 02-13-05, 09:13 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_1731.jpg (531.8 KB, 1189 views)
Unread 02-13-05, 09:51 PM

Kevin B is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Yep my partner Steve flew it down on Friday N325 right?
Unread 02-13-05, 10:31 PM

I believe that was it! Seems it was White/Red... I just noticed it on my rollout, but did not get a good chance to look at it...

The weather here has been a little cool and breezy - but VERY nice compared to home.

Pat
Unread 02-13-05, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I feel the same way, Pat, but I can't be out there beating the drums, or people would think I'm showing off. Anyhow, it's great advertising for the SOAPA meeting, and will hopefully push some people who might be on the fence. And the flight down to the Keys is indeed beautiful, but those who've flown over the Bahamas will tell you that it's even prettier. Finally, whenever you come this far south, there is a very nice scenic route into Miami. You can read about it and see a chunk of Sectional with the route marked on it at www.ConsultResearch.com/miasce.htm but basically you fly south over the water just east of Miami Beach, then you cross Miami Beach, and then head south again, with Miami Beach on your left and the skyscrapers of the City of Miami on your right.

Ernie
Unread 02-14-05, 11:21 AM

I had thought about flying from here along the East or West Coast of Florida on my way back home - the flight at 2000' under Miami Bravo across the swampland was interesting, but not very scenic by comparison. I took that route after having breakfast with some friends at Sebring on the way down as it was the shortest route between the two points. We plan to fly up to Naples to see some friends later this week. The over-water keys portion is so exceptional compared to the Iowa cornfields, that I have no problem burning the extra fuel... it is spectacular!

We are staying at Bahia Honda Key, and I have noticed that northwest of this (between here and Key West) there must be a airship/blimp scenic ride service that has two blimps attached via cable(?) From here, they appear to go up several thousand feet in an alternating pattern - 1 up, 1 down, etc... I did not see this on the sectional, but it must be listed... - so I would suggest to anyone flying down here - stay on the SOUTH side of the keys on the route in and out of Key West to stay clear of the cables.

To anyone having doubts about the trip down here - I absolutely recommend it... It will be one I will always remember. Fuel at Marathon is like 2.40 - so it is VERY reasonable. I have found it as low as 2.31 in other places... Almost economical!

Hope to see you all in May!
Unread 02-14-05, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
You raise some issues about flying VFR to Key West which I was going to cover as we get closer to the SOAPA meeting, but let me identify them now and we'll review them again in May. BTW, you will want to come in VFR, for maximum sightseeing.

There are only two things noteworthy, and both are shown in the Sectional (figure below).

First, as Pat points out there is a tethered balloon about 20 miles before you get to EYW. It has radars for drug interdiction and is shown as a hashed circle and identified as R2916. It's easy to circumvent just by staying south (or wide north) of the Keys, as Pat indicates. South is prettier.

Second, the Key West Naval Air Station is just 3 or 4 miles before you get to EYW. There is a note on the Sectional alerting you to intensive military flight activity and giving you the freq for EYW approach. Interestingly, when you call Approach you won't be talking to FAA ATC but Navy ATC. They'll assign a squawk code, and route you around the base and then hand you over to the EYW tower. You can come in north or south of the base.

On the matter of fuel, 100LL is now about $2.70 self-serve and $3.00 full service at Marathon, about the same price as TMB in Miami (for those coming into Miami Sunday for the Bahamas trip or Tuesday for the see-Miami-like-a-native stop). It's about $4 at EYW (note, however, that Paul Rooy has negotiated a 24 cent discount for SOAPA attendees and a halving of tie-down price -- from $30 to $15 -- if you fuel up at EYW). Cheaper fuel can be found in Central Florida ($2.40 at ZPH and $2.50 at OBE).

Ernie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyw sect.jpg (148.7 KB, 1100 views)
Unread 02-14-05, 10:05 PM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Cruise altitude?

Hi Pat,

Nice pix so far... just curious what your cruise parameters were on the way down and the altitude where the first aerial shot is taken above?

Is this your first long-haul flight with the new bird?

SkyKing
Unread 02-15-05, 06:27 PM

I think that picture was taken around 5500 or so... I had to fly at 2000' under Miami Bravo, but then climbed back up to get some altitude before crossing the water.

From Iowa to Alabama, I flew 9500' @ 31x2400 - made about 215k across the ground with a decent tailwind...

From Alabama to Florida, I flew at 11,500' @ 30x2400 - made about 240-255k avg... figured about a 60k tailwind... Made really good time!

The rest of the trip was around 5500' at same settings - but around 160-170k...

Last edited by Pat Schmitz : 02-15-05 at 10:39 PM.
Unread 02-21-05, 03:37 PM

Got back Friday - What a trip!

I promised some additional photos - enjoy!

I will also include a few from Key West.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4872.jpg (98.4 KB, 1034 views)
Unread 02-21-05, 03:39 PM

Key West...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2080.jpg (342.4 KB, 1011 views)
Unread 02-21-05, 03:41 PM

After takeoff from Marathon Key (MTH)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_4858.jpg (168.8 KB, 1046 views)
Unread 02-21-05, 03:47 PM

Key West
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2051.jpg (549.0 KB, 1078 views)
Unread 02-21-05, 03:55 PM

Southernmost Point.... These are my Aunt & Uncle (left), Parents (right) ...
Ironically - everything there is called sourthernmost something....

Southernmost Hotel, Wendys, Bar..... Butterfly Conservatorium, Ernest Hemingway's home, Margaritaville..... you name it...Lots to do there!

We spent one day in Key West - the rest of our time was spent at the beach in Bahia Honda State Park... It was VERY relaxing! Perfect weather every day! I can't wait to go back!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_2042.jpg (461.0 KB, 983 views)

Last edited by Pat Schmitz : 02-21-05 at 03:59 PM.
Unread 02-21-05, 05:07 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Pat,

That is a beautiful Key West sunset picture. It is now the background on my desktop... Thanks for posting it!

Kevin