Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-28-09, 06:59 PM

rick bell is an unknown quantity at this point
am i stupid or what ??

do these pending sid's apply if it's experimental. if not, why not make life easier and go that route.
you can't sell any aircraft, unless it's derated 50% or more (an average 50 year old sterman sells for more than a cherry 337). it can't effect the value as there is none and eliminates all the bull associated with maintainability. ????
Unread 10-29-09, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I would suggest that you wait on that a bit, for two reasons, both of which can be gleaned from the first message in the Cessna SID Update thread.

First, we believe that compelling engineering arguments exist for either deleting or substantially reducing the scope of many of the SIDs. And Cessna is listening. We’re hopeful that the published SIDs will be far less burdensome than the draft SIDs. In that context, one point that has not been noted is that the SIDs can be performed up to one year after their publication; since some of the proposed SIDs are part of an annual inspection and some of the others can be performed at that time conveniently (read: adding little additional cost), the burden is further reduced.

The second reason applies to private owners like you with U.S. registered aircraft, and it’s the expectation that the SIDs will not be required for Part 91 operators. Both the FAA record on this and the experience with the SIDs for the 400-series Cessnas support this premise. For instance, the FAA’s Final Order on this matter, as published in the Federal Register (see http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2002/pdf/02-30111.pdf), specifically states that “the FAA does not agree that ADs should be used to implement the new requirements” and that “Airworthiness Directives are used to address unsafe conditions that have already been identified”. In the 400-series, many SIDs were published, but only one applies to Part 91 operators: the wing-spar SID which became an AD after numerous cracks were found and there was an in-flight wing separation. As a caveat, it’s possible – maybe likely – that insurance companies will require Part 91 operators to accomplish the SIDs, but I don’t know that experimental aircraft are easily insured, so it may be a moot point when the alternative is to make your Skymaster experimental.

Hope this helps.

Ernie
Unread 10-29-09, 06:28 PM

billsheila is an unknown quantity at this point
I must be stupid too?

Ernie/Rick; I didn't think it was possible to simply declare yourself "experimental", ie making such declaration on a certificated airplane. I thought that such could only happen, with application to the FAA -- for research work -- using a certificated airplane. For example if you are testing a major component (such as has been done using skymasters where one engine is swapped out to a non-certificated engine for testing purposes).

In these cases the engine aircraft is labelled experimental (and carries the restrictions that go along with such) and with the endorsement of the FAA. But simply ordering a label from Sporty's and slapping it on your bird is not an option, I don't think. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.
Unread 10-29-09, 06:50 PM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Take the data plate off and apply for "experimental-exhibition". But there is no free lunch here either since you will have certain conditions to meet, such as operating area and no passenger carrying, only required crewmembers. And you still have to comply with items such as life limited parts and in certain cases AD's.

I don't believe this SID will apply to Part 91 aircraft. And if an insurance carrier wants you to comply with it as a provision for coverage drop the insurance and tell them to pound sand.