Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-31-20, 11:05 AM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
What are YOUR traffic pattern speeds?

We now have two 'thrashers on Potomac, as part of my airfield beautification program.

Curious what others use for pattern speeds. Short field?

Mine is full Robertson STOL

Approaching
I will get to pattern altitude 5 miles away or so.
I power back 3-5 miles away to slow to 140mph (120k) or so clean,
then drop 1/3rd flaps

Yes, yes I know flap speed is 160, but first I slow a bit and get some more headroom

Downwind
Then down to 110 MPH (95k) or so entering pattern and downwind

Abeam the numbers
Drop gear - starts descent, slowing

Base
Entering base 2/3rd flaps,
slowing down around 90 mph (76k)

Final
Turn final, full flaps.
Decelerate from 90mph (76k) to 80 mph (70k)
A touch of power on front engine
touching down 70 ish mph (60k)

Your turn. Just curious.
Fort Washington, MD 20744
Unread 12-31-20, 12:37 PM

Snake is on a distinguished road
David - Looks pretty much to my numbers, including the same version of yours I flew years back, adjusted for a non STOL. Without an AOA indicator I allow additional airspeed for higher weight, DA, etc. If I have a steady head wind component I will use GPS ground speed as indicator to my airspeed. Aspen systems are real nice in this, indication to what the airplane is telling me through controls as I fly to touch down spot. I "taught" no-flap short field landing in a number of frames. One of toughest to make work was your version of Skymaster with wing-tip tanks in a cross-wind condition to a short field and no other options. If I could work it down controlled to the point in No-Flap cross-wind approach at min speed felt I had a better, controlled touchdown and set down, often 1-2-3 on gear - with sufficient clearance on the tips. Crabbed landings not my favorite and often to much strain for the mission load I was flying for the gear. Had plenty of folks disagree.
Unread 01-01-21, 04:18 PM

patrolpilot is on a distinguished road
Much the same as mentioned.
  • I like entering the downwind (1000' AGL) abeam the runway's departure end at 120K with flaps 1/3. I'm typically decelerating with the power at 17 to 19" MP.
  • At mid-field, "landing gear down", and the power doesn't change.
  • I apply 2/3 flaps near the turn to base. I consider the flaps "flight controls" and use them to manipulate my glide path from pre-base to post-base. I don't have a problem deploying them partially or while turning, and sometimes I might partially retract them to maintain the desired glide path; but post-base leg, they are at 2/3 with speed at 100K. I rarely touch engine power. If I do, I goofed up.
  • Same relationship with the application of Full flaps, but with the position being on the final. I want that completed at 500' AGL with speed at 90K.
  • I use a GUMP checklist rather than read or listen to one. I want my eyeballs outside and my ears on the appropriate COM frequency.
  • On final and once landing is assured, I slowly decrease my speed while achieving my touchdown reference. I typically hear the stall warning "chirp" immediately before touchdown.
I'm working with a guy now, checking him out in the Skymaster. He is already a ME guy but has been flying SE airplanes for several decades. During that period, he has been light on instrument flying, and the goal is to be very proficient in flying the 337 in VMC or IMC. I fly with power and pitch, and the attached table works really well for getting down to the runway without goofing around out on the approach. It doesn't matter whether the airplane is being hand flown or flown by the autopilot. Everything is very smooth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg approach.jpg (24.8 KB, 710 views)