Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-11-21, 09:10 PM

mshac is on a distinguished road
Question GO PRO Video tips?

I'd like to start shooting high quality flying videos with my Skymaster. I'm assuming a high end Go Pro is the correct choice? I know about photography, but I'm new to the Go Pro. Can anyone offer advice on mounting, Go Pro models, accessories to have, etc? I appreciate any and all advice!
Unread 01-11-21, 09:31 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
The best place to learn the techniques and the equipment is watch the pros

Trent Palmer
Citation Max
Aviation 101
Matt Guthmiller
Steveo Kinevo

Actually just until the newest GoPro was released the GoPro was behind the times. There are other cameras out there that these pro You Tubers are using. Mounts are all over the board and depends on what you want to show. Exterior mounts can capture some nice footie but are harder to manage. You will notice that most of the listed sites above don't use much exterior stuff. Matt usually always has one on the right wing but interior shots can work well. Nobody wants to just see you fly from point A to point B, boring. You have to add some story, drama and action. Something unique that's not out there yet, just flying your plane won't be successful, but that depends on what you are trying to achieve. Maybe you just want to document what you are doing. At least a Skymaster is unique so you got that going for you. Remember, 5 - 6 minutes and after that the audience is asleep or on to the next video.

Have fun

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-12-21, 12:42 PM

Dr.Dan is on a distinguished road
I haven't yet put a gopro on my plane but I plan to do it at some point.

Guys like Trent Palmer get amazing footage, but he's also a professional so I think it's reasonable to lower the bar a bit for us (well me at least haha).

I have a gopro 7 black. It's a couple models old now but a decent camera. I'd expect the newer models to be even better. The picture quality in 4k is really quite remarkable for such a small camera. The downside of gopro is the limited battery life (at least in my experience). If mounted outside in the cold it chews through battery pretty quick. I doubt I'd get more than an hour out of each battery.

As for mounts, there are a million options out there for gopro. There are fancy universal mechanical mounts that guys put on struts or wherever. I haven't tried these but I'm sure there's some good ones although expect to pay accordingly. The plastic clips with 3M tape hold pretty well and are dirt cheap in bulk. I'm not sure they will hold at 200 mph, but I guess I'll find out at some point.

DD
Unread 01-13-21, 04:42 PM

Thanks for the replies. I've been looking closely at the Go Pro 8 Black, but the Max 360 is interesting as well. Garmin's unit looks nice, but overpriced at $799. Gonna keep looking. Maybe I could use a cheaper one for certain shots when using multiple cameras at once? I bought a $40 one from Amazon to play around with. Picture isn't too bad, but absolutely no image stabilization. OK for static photography, no so great for in-motion. Even this cheapo version has its own built-in wifi network, so you can monitor and control the camera from your smartphone.

Last edited by mshac : 01-13-21 at 04:45 PM.
Unread 01-14-21, 07:52 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Dan View Post
The plastic clips with 3M tape hold pretty well and are dirt cheap in bulk. I'm not sure they will hold at 200 mph, but I guess I'll find out at some point.

DD
Do NOT use adhesive stick on mounts for exterior mounting. You will loose your camera. There are some really easy ways to mount exterior or buy a solid fixed mount to use outside.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 01-14-21, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
Do NOT use adhesive stick on mounts for exterior mounting. You will loose your camera. There are some really easy ways to mount exterior or buy a solid fixed mount to use outside.
Thanks Herb, I definitely don't want to lose my camera! My understanding is that there are mounts that screw into existing holes on the airplane, such as inspection port holes? Is this correct?
Unread 01-15-21, 11:37 AM

Dr.Dan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hharney View Post
Yeah that makes sense. A regular gopro isn't very aerodynamic. I wonder if a bullet shaped camera or aerodynamic cover would be more suitable. You certainly don't want it falling out of the sky.
Unread 01-16-21, 12:12 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Used GoPro cameras on Ebay

You can buy the slightlyolder GoPros on ebay for next to nothing.

I have two 3s and a 4, as well as a 5.

Just need time to play with them.

All you really want, I think, is basic image stabilization to get get rid of vibration.

They are all 4k ultrawide etc.

My hought plan is to edit / focus on edit.

IT I ever get around to it.

As well as being deep in the FRZ in C (Cannot get ANY deeper), I have a fistful of true 'national security parables' that might make a fascinating soundtrack in the telling while flying.
Fort Washington, MD 20744

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: