Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Unread 10-01-02, 02:01 AM

SkyKing is on a distinguished road
Monochrome... I mean "green" and/or color

Hey Bob,

What's this B&W stuff... haven't seen any black and white screens in aeroplanes for a l-o-n-g time! The Eventide/Argus monochrome units are same great green color as the KLN90B and KLN88 displays, only more intuitive. The full color units do add two more colors, yellow and red, which I suppose makes acquisition of important features rather quick, but you really PAY big for those extra two colors. I think what's probably the best bet is the monocrhome green, but getting a later 5000 or 7000 with what they Flight Planning Plus software. I hear it's a real breeze.

BTW, for those considering new Eventide/Argus units, here are the MSRP as told to me by the Argus rep:

5000 Monochrome with enhanced software $4495
7000 Monocruome with enhanced software $5495

5000CE Color with enhanced software $6995
7000CE Color with enhanced software $8995

RMI add-on unit $1495

For obvious reasons I can't see spending that much on a new one when the Garmin 430/530 items far supercede the abilities of the Argus, but if your panel is tight for space and you don't want to disrupt the center stack, then these Argus units are definitely the ticket for a panel mounted moving map and used is the way to go... or sling a full color 295 on the yoke and let it go at that.

SkyKing
Unread 10-01-02, 08:53 AM
N69S

Bob Cook is an unknown quantity at this point
argus

SK

Monochrome / b/w same diff. Was referring to the lack of color.

Getting an approach certified GPS is the big benefit. I think there are lots of alternatives to the 530 such as the argus and even the kln94 which is a not bad price. Certainly the 295 is the best compromise for the buck if you want color mapping.

Have you figured out the switching arrangement yet? I think you should go for a five tube EFIS and be done with it. <G>

Bob