Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Recommended Destinations and Fuel Stops
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-25-05, 09:43 PM

Ron Moore is an unknown quantity at this point
Grand Cayman trip

We just returned from a tirp to the Caymans, anyone desiring info let me know.....
Ron
Unread 02-26-05, 05:39 PM
B Sutton

bsutton is an unknown quantity at this point
cayman

Ron:

I would like to have a general description of your trip.
Unread 02-28-05, 10:48 AM

Ron Moore is an unknown quantity at this point
Cayman trip

The Cayman process began 6 weeks before the trip. I applied for Cuban overflight through an agency licensed to do business with the Cubans, $142. The Cubans only require 48 hour advance notice, but the agency needs your cashier's check and application, getting the paperwork to them and back takes a few days. (They're at 305-525-5307). The permit is good for two zulu days on each end. Apply early.

I applied for a radio license for the airplane, $105, on a very confusing FCC web site. No one ever asked to see it.

I applied for my radio license, $55, on the same confusing webb site. No one ever asked to see it.

I located charts for Cuba and the Caymans. If you don't have other access, the Cayman Caravanb or Jepp may sell you a trip kit.

I arranged for out of country insurance coverage, $200. I had copies of my aircraft insurance, a letter stating that I was an owner of the aircraft corporation that the aircraft is registered to and had corporate permission for the trip, and all the normally required aircraft documentation. (ARROW; Airworthiness, Registration, Radio license (req'd only outside the US), owners manual, weight and balance). I was readily prepared for a ramp inspection. I do not carry my log book or those for the aircraft.

We flew from Murfreesboro, TN to Key West, stopping for cheap gas along the way. We spent a night at Key West. I went to customs and got prebriefed on all return requirements, and picked up all the necessary forms to have filled out when we returned. (This paid off in spades...).

I arranged for survival gear; four life vests and a 12 person raft from Island City at Key West. (I got a good deal, don't know the rental charge). They're very small, we put the raft between the front seats, all occupants kept the vests in close proximity.

The morning of the flight, I filed an international flight plan, the 1-800-wxbrief guys will talk you through it. The only non-standard info is the color of your survival gear and whether or not the raft has a cover and radios, and the times you'll cross the Cuban ADIZ (in Z). I use Jepp flight planning software, it does an ICAO flight plan as well. Route of flight is: EYW, TADPO, UVA (ADIZ in), UCL (ADIZ out), GCM. Coming back, you may be cleared from GCM to Rikel, Debor, UCL UVA, Tadpo, but we were cleared from GCM direct to UCL. UCM and UCL are Cuban VOR's, they are also where you cross the Cuban ADIZ. My IFR GPS didn't have the Carribean in it's data base, but my Garmin 196 did......

The following day we launched off (on time) for the Caymans. You must be on an IFR flight plan. You fly to an intersection (TADPO) where you're handed off from Miami Center to Havanna Center. If it weren't for the accent, and all altitudes in flight levels, you wouldn't know the difference. The controllers were friendly and articulate, I only had difficulty understanding one controller, another sounded as if he grew up in Ohio.....

It's a 2:15 flight (@165). Cuba is 90 miles from Key West, another 100 or so across Cuba, then you're over open water. Havanna hands you off to Cayman approach, a non-radar facility. You begin your descent when cleared, land at the Island! (Tanker some extra fuel for the home trip, Cayman 100LL is $5 a gallon.)

Taxi to a point in front of their little customs building, fill out several forms. If you want to be tied down, take a rope and find a tie down....... Don't leave the building until the paperwork is completed or they won't let your pax back on the ramp to help you unload the airplane....

You go back through the same process leaving. You file your outbound flight plan (and pay $155 (cash) in fees) and get a weather briefing in the same little customs building. Everyone is very helpful and friendly. Clear Caymans Customs outbound; the process is a fairly rapid (in Island time) formality of paperwork.

Call US customs before you leave and give them your landing time, then be on time. (My Cingular cel phone worked in the Caymans, at $1.50 a minute). The Customs agents are normally at the Key West pier dealing with thousands of cruise ship passengers, they relocate to meet you at the airport, be on time! They asked for my registration, pilot's license, and medical, in addition to the required Customs paperwork. Have all of your customs forms filled out, and your paperwork in order before taking off, it could potentially save you hours.

It's the same 2:15 flight back to Key West. Park in the customs penalty box, wait for customs, take your paperwork, and follow them into the building when you're invited. If you're prepared, it's painless...

You're home....!

It might be good to do your first trip with the Cayman Caravan, they do all the paperwork for you. You would have all of the necessary documentation and an idea of what to do before striking out on your own. But if you go it alone, it's painless and relatively inexpensive way to get to the Caymans.....

The Caymans had a lot of hurrican damage, but they're recovering. There were only a couple hotels available (Feb 05), most restaurants and dive shops are up and running. The exchange rate is $1 US is worth $.75 Cayman. Things not normally expensive are at the exchange rate. We found food to be absolutey outstanding, but it's all imported from Miami and you pay the airfare! I never enjoyed rum until the Caymans; their Rum and the concoctions are great!

We used taxi's frequently, rented a car for one day to tour the island, and rented a scooter for a day of transportation freedom. A scooter proved very handy and relativel inexpensive, if you're up to scooters. Traffic is very heavy during rush hour..... The temps were nearly 80 during the day, a cool 65ish, requiring a sweatshirt, at night. The wind never stops, 15-20 knots.

I highly recommend the Cayman Caravan. The Caymans are fun, we'll go back, but not for a few years.....Next trip we'll explore the Bahamas.

Ron Moore
gunman1f16@aol.com