Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 12-27-10, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
$94 part for $10? New?

Let me digress for a moment before I tell you about the new $94 part I bought for $10.

With the economy the way it is and fuel prices headed up, holding on to our beloved aircraft is going to be tough.

What may make the difference is cutting maintenance costs, without affecting reliability. It can be done, and the main trick is cutting the cost of parts. I believe that in many instances you can cut a repair job in half by thoroughly searching for parts. Not the cost of parts, the cost of the whole repair job (more on this in the Purchasing Parts page of my "backup" website at www.SkymasterUS.com).

Anyhow, I was looking for a KM610-51, which is the latch assembly that opens the oil dip stick door on the cowlings (see pic below). My go-to guy, Don Nieser at Commodore, was not answering the phones. Lone Star has it for $94 (www.lonestaraero.com/pm-2132-45-km610-51.aspx). Yingling quoted at $51.

For a small latch. Highway robbery.

So I kept at it. Googled the part number and found a message board thread on experimental aircraft entitled "Where to buy oil door latches (KM610-64)?" and citing B&B Aircraft Supplies as an inexpensive source. I called them, and yes they have new-surplus units in stock, but not the -51, just the -32. I'm about to hang up when the guy explains that the only difference is the little hump that potrudes through the hole in the door -- 0.032 inches on the -32 and 0.051 on the -51 (see pic below). In short, it will work fine. I ask the price and he says $10. I order 2.

You all have a healthy 2011.

Ernie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	337 oil door latch2.jpg
Views:	1362
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	1173  
Unread 12-28-10, 06:28 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats a very good tip Ernie! Thanks for sharing that.

Dave
Unread 01-07-11, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Another one failed!

Within days of one failing, another of the latches has failed (the spring disintegrates). So I've ordered 2 more of the KM610-32 from B&B (913-884-5930). I mention it because if yours is near the age of my 1973 337G -- or older -- one of yours may be near failure and you may want to have a spare or two around, especially at this price.

Ernie