Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-01-05, 04:40 PM

Mark McConaughy is an unknown quantity at this point
Restricted Airspace

I just had an interesting conversation with AOPA about all of the incursions into the Washington, New York airspace and generally about TFR's. I'm not talking about anyone in this group and to the best of my knowledge, we've all been good little boys and girls.

What the person at AOPA stated was that besides the incidents that have made national news there have been many others. There are already calls from congress to review general aviation security. No offense to our elected representatives but, I think we will all be better off if we take care of the problem rather than let the Government in their wisdom (?) decide for us.

I have some limited experience with the FAA enforcement process and I can tell you when it comes to the above subject they have no sense of humor at all about it (ask the CFI in the 150). Those little things like checking NOTAMS and TFRs right before departure could make the difference between a pleasant day and getting up close and personal with a couple of F-16s, and of course you would also avoid meeting all those interesting people that will meet you when you land.

So if you see someone about to do something stupid you might say something (be polite of course). There are those that think we don't need to be able go at our whim without permission from big brother. I have even heard some say that security at GA airports should be virtually the same as at Air Carrier airports. I sure don't want to see that, don't think any of the rest of us do either. Guess what I'm saying is we need to our part to keep the wolf away from the door.