Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 02-23-04, 09:48 PM
Marco in DR

marco is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to marco
In Quest of my first Skymaster

Thank You Kevin for such a wonderfully informative site.

I am looking to buy a Skymaster. I have been searching the net.
My budget is 100K to 125k... I am a US citizen currently living in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. I am looking for a good family plane to go puddle hopping to Central America, Mexico, Colombia, Venezuela, Florida and the Caribbean as well as within the country. As you know the weather here is very hot, so eventually fitting the Skymaster with AC will be high on my wish list. I am open to all possibility of sourcing the aircraft in the US or Europe. My only concern would be, if it is not a US registry aircraft, will I be able to take it on short trips to the US?

My main concern is that the aircraft be structurally and mechanically sound without having to spend a lot of money in this area. If the plane has had a gear up landing in it’s history, but was professionally repaired and is in solid condition, I would not have a problem with it. I am not looking for it to have the latest greatest avionics, great paint or interior for that matter. I can add these items along the way. As for engine life: I would be ok with something in the area of 350 - 450 hrs to TBO and that cylinder compression is where it should be.

So far, I have seen several 73 -74 models that fit my budget, but one skymaster dealer made some comments that I felt deserved inquiring Skymaster owners.

Below are some comments that I would like to here your opinion on the 73 -74 models of the P337. Can these problems be adressed and fixed?

1. Cessna did a poor job on designing both engine baffle systems. As a result both engines run hot and especially the rear engine. This causes the engines to not reach TBO.

2. Cessna did a poor job on the initial electrical systems on P337’s. The electrics were re-designed in 1975.

3. The first two year models (1973-74) only have 123 gallon fuel tanks which really restrict the aircraft’s range. 1975 and newer aircraft have 150 gallon tanks of which 148 gallons are useable.

4. Both engines have an older designed exhaust system that is very prone to exhaust leaks. This causes the engines to not hold MP at higher altitudes and this is a very difficult problem to overcome.

5. Airconditioners are a problem for this aircraft and not worth the money. They create many problems and do not work well. Not a recommended upgrade. Move to a cooler climate.

Thank you so much for your help .
Unread 02-23-04, 10:10 PM
TAS (Thin Air Seeker)

Jerry De Santis is on a distinguished road
Purchase

Marco. There are going to be as many answers to the questions you asked as there are Skymaster owners. A little turth to all the questions but not as bad as they initially may sound. Depends on model year and type.

I suggest, since you are interested in purchasing a Skymaster in the $100,00 + range that you invest in an airline ticket and fly up to our meeting this coming April and learn all about the Skymaster from people who are serious about the plane. I think when ever you have the opportunity to meet lots of people at one place on a particular subject, you will learn and walk away feeling what every you decide to do will be the correct.

There will be people there that have air cond. and those that sell them. Meeting cost is only $50.00

see the front page of this website for the details.
Unread 02-23-04, 11:17 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Marco,

Jerry's right, there are multiple opinions, but here are mine, based on owning two Skymasters over the course of six years or so.

1. Cessna did a poor job on designing both engine baffle systems. As a result both engines run hot and especially the rear engine. This causes the engines to not reach TBO.

Baloney. Rumor. Not true. On *any* airplane (air cooled anyway) you must make sure baffles are installed and maintained properly. If you do that, you will not have problems with overhead on either engine. Both of my 337s initially ran with the rear engine cooler than the front. When I put new engines on my second airplane, they both ran at the same temperature. I flew all over the U.S. and into the Carribean, in summer. No problems.

2. Cessna did a poor job on the initial electrical systems on P337’s. The electrics were re-designed in 1975.

As to the poor job, yes, I think so. As to redesign in 1975, I am unaware of any significant redesign that occured at that time. I have never noted '75 and later airplanes having any less or more electrical problems than earlier. The electrical system is a weak point in Skymasters, but with proper maintenance, and a mechanic who understands electricity and electronics and will take the time to prove a diagnosis rather than just changing parts willy nilly, you can manage this problem with little added expense.

3. The first two year models (1973-74) only have 123 gallon fuel tanks which really restrict the aircraft’s range. 1975 and newer aircraft have 150 gallon tanks of which 148 gallons are useable.

True.

4. Both engines have an older designed exhaust system that is very prone to exhaust leaks. This causes the engines to not hold MP at higher altitudes and this is a very difficult problem to overcome.

Bullcrap. Properly maintained (with no more effort than any other other turbocharged Cessna, I have owned a T210 and a T182RG), you will get proper MP. If he is talking about pressurized airplanes, a well maintained P will make 20K no problem, maintaining MP and cabin pressure. You must fix cabin leaks, and again, properly maintain the exhaust. On hot days, some of the power settings in the manual will not work. I found in my P337 that I needed 2450 or 2500 RPM to maintain 65% power above 17,000 feet. But if I ran at 75% power, 2400 RPM was fine. If you are trying to run high at 2200 or 2300, you will have problems on most airplanes I have heard about, but perhaps others will report better experiences. In any case, it is no issue, and should not worry you about purchasing any 337, T337 or P337.

5. Airconditioners are a problem for this aircraft and not worth the money. They create many problems and do not work well. Not a recommended upgrade. Move to a cooler climate.

Most folks I know love their AC. I have heard the same as you, that it is a problem. Below is a thread on this site you can read that contains pro and con.

http://www.337skymaster.com/messages...s=&threadid=51

If you have more questions, you have found a great place to ask. And as Jerry says, the Oklahoma City meeting in April would be a great place to meet Skymaster owners who can tell you more about their experience with the airplane in person, and show you the different models, etc.

Congratulations on considering the purchase of a great airplane. You can beat the performance for the price in any other twin.

Kevin

Last edited by kevin : 02-23-04 at 11:22 PM.
Unread 02-23-04, 11:21 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
One more thing Marco. Please don't post the same message in more than one forum. The copy of your message posted in Aircraft for Sale has been deleted. Aircraft for Sale is for listings of Aircraft for Sale only. The Messages forum (the other place you posted) is exactly the right place for wanted and help messages.

Thanks for your interest in our site!

Kevin
webmaster
Unread 02-23-04, 11:51 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm on my second Skymaster, have a Master's degree in mechanical/aerospace engineering, and fly my aircraft out of Miami over the Caribbean. I generally agree with Kevin's responses, but would add the following.

On Q2, I'd always heard that the electrical systems were weak, but a British A&P who knows the system well feels otherwise and my two aircraft nver gave me a bit of trouble, so Kevin is right to say that you can manage with proper maintenance.

On Q3, my 1973 337G has 125 lbs of fuel, but since it's normally aspirated you can lean it per the POH and get 6 hours of flight. Who wants more, considering potty breaks and food?

This, by the way leads to another question: why a pressurized turbo? Makes sense over tall mountains, but for the Caribbean I think a normally aspirated is perfect.

On Q5 my opinion is to not get an A/C. I swelter at times (especially in Nassau, where the taxiing at times seems interminable) but if you're on the ground for any length of time the rear engine will overheat (simple solution: taxi with the front one if there's a long line, and start the rear when you get closer to the runway) and if the taxiing is short then it'll get cooler as soon as you get some heigth.

Ernie
Unread 02-24-04, 01:25 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Owen Bell has a nifty A/C system for all skymasters. He talked about it in Nashville, and will talk about it in PWA.

Are you talking Pressurized, or Non-Presurized? With your budget, I suspect it would be difficult to get Pressurized, in a condition that would please you.

Owen's A/C system can be put on the Non-Turbo, Non pressurized model.

I agree with Jerry, come to Oklahoma City, bring your wife, you will never see such an assortment of planes anywhere, and you'll be able to narrow your choices, what you want, etc, much more efficiently
Unread 02-25-04, 12:35 PM
Marco in DR

marco is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to marco
Thumbs up Thanks Everyone

Kevin et all ......
Thank you for your responses...I will definately try to make it to Oklahoma.

Regards,
Marco