Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-02-05, 05:32 PM

EZCOPE is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Accessory Drive Gear Failure

Revolt'n development!!
During routine maint. tried starting front eng - IO-360C- starter whirred, nothing else moved. Pulled starter, starter worm gear didn't act right. After consult with don George- ORL , and AC Specalties Services Tulsa - shipped to Tulsa. They found accessory drive gear cracked. AND there is a Continental SB - SB01-5 , but my engine SN not covered. Checked parts record from OH, no mention of that part. ZO, must be original part with 2700 hours on it, and over 39 years of age.

It could have gotten pricey, but AC Spec Sv managed to keep OH of the starter adapter for under $1400. One gear alone goes for 1000.
Unread 05-02-05, 08:56 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Yep, been there done that last summer. acc gear drive for my model was $2700. Ouch

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 05-02-05, 10:39 PM

big al 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
good reason to go with reman's or new mills. not a normal item in basic overhauls
Unread 05-03-05, 11:09 AM
Jim Rainer

Jim Rainer is an unknown quantity at this point
Who did the repair work that saved you so much money??

Anyone else know of a good source?
Unread 05-03-05, 11:33 PM
Keven

Niagara

I just got mine OH, and paid more than anyone else's numbers above from Niagara. I hear they do great work, and hope that I don't have a bad story getting to KEYW in the next couple of weeks. OH and replaced my front engine. It's a pretty important part of the system, and if it goes bad, EVERYTHING can go bad, so I decided on the full OH.

IMHO

Any excceptionally critical responses that I need to respond to or poke fun at?

Any well reasoned concerns for me spending $1000 too much?

Keven
________
LovelyWendie99

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:11 PM.
Unread 05-04-05, 08:41 PM
A&P/IA

FRED-E is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Niagara

Interesting story about Niagara: I had a starter adaptor exchanged by them last year, there was a $ 700 core charge. After I installed the part I waited a couple of weeks for them to return my core charge, no such luck, I called them to ask where my core charge was, the lady informed me that my core needed a lot of repair and they would use my core charge to repair the part. I told her (very niecely) that wasn't the way we do business in Oklahoma and I want the core charge OR the core. She talked to her boss and he decied he would send me my core back. Ovcourse I have no way of knowing if the core I recieved was mine or not.
If you do business with them, make sure you ask the right questions.
Fred N358
Unread 05-04-05, 10:37 PM

big al 08 is an unknown quantity at this point
maybe engrave marks on the core and document it, then you will know. the only ones who are sucessful are the one's who are totally honest, being straight shooter pays and it pay big time. they cheap cheaters always end up packing sand
Unread 05-04-05, 11:29 PM
Keven

New Question and Maybe Thread

Larry, Jerry, A&Ps, and anyone else who has purchased an engine, and sent a core replacement, a few questions about what is and is not customary as being included/expected:

What is customary as included in the base price of the engine you purchase and return as a core:

1. Vacuum pump Y/N
2. Prop governor Y/N
3. Exhaust system Y/N
4. Muffler and tail pipes Y/N
5. Baffles for the cylinders and the engine baffle set Y/N
6. Ignition Harnesses Y/N
7. Alternate Induction Air Box Assembly Y/N
8. Hydraulic pump Y/N
9. Crankcase Vent tube Y/N
10. Magneto Vent plugs Y/N
11. Induction air hoses and clamps Y/N

For those of you with a more critical and inquiring mind, this was not a factory purchase/sale, and thus, there was not a specified parts list, so, we can't rely upon a writing. It was the sale of a well past TBO, but still running engine.

Thanks,

Keven
________
PERCOCET NOT WORKING

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:12 PM.
Unread 05-05-05, 01:00 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
None of those accessories are included in a factory reman. Only the alternator is included. This varies by engine model, i.e. from plane to plane. It depends on how Cessna (or other OEM) ordered the engine. For example, on some airplanes, the turbocharger is included with the engine. On ours (for P and T models) it is not.

The core must be a running engine when removed. It is not acceptable if any type of catastrophic failure has occurred, and you would incur a core charge in that event.

One of the advantages to a factory reman is that they are not very picky about the condition of the core returned, as long as it was functional when removed.

I am not sure if that answer is of use in your situation, but I remember that from when I did my dual engine overhaul a couple of years ago.

Kevin

Last edited by kevin : 05-05-05 at 01:03 AM.
Unread 05-05-05, 08:10 AM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
Re: New Question and Maybe Thread

Quote:
Originally posted by Keven
Larry, Jerry, A&Ps, and anyone else who has purchased an engine, and sent a core replacement, a few questions about what is and is not customary as being included/expected:

What is customary as included in the base price of the engine you purchase and return as a core:

5. Baffles for the cylinders and the engine baffle set Y/N
6. Ignition Harnesses Y/N

Thanks,

Keven
The baffles between the cylinders were included with my Reman.
If you mean the little clamps that hold the wires in place, yes. and the wires. Everything else comes off my old engine. OH, and interestingly enough, it came with a light weight, smaller, starter. About half the size of the one that it replaced. The IA replaced/repaired the rest of the baffles. I bought a muffler off of Ebay, because mine had a hole in it. I also ended up needing new lord mounts (to be expected), and a new engine mount (thank you Don Neiser). We had the engine mount bead blasted and powder coated. Had the exhaust sytem bead blasted too, looks real nice.
I don't know what you mean by Magneto vent plugs, but it came with new (to me any way) Magnetos.
We had to purchase, and install all new hoses, including vacuum line hoses.
And, after the first flight, new voltage regulators.

Jerry doesn't know yet, because his isn't back, and he is getting his engine rebuilt, so it will come back essentially as it left, maybe he'll buy new plugs

Last edited by WebMaster : 05-05-05 at 10:05 AM.
Unread 05-05-05, 09:25 AM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Sorry, Larry is correct, when you wrote baffles, I thought about the complete cooling baffling system, not just the baffles between cylinders.

I don't recall a starter coming with mine, but I am probably remembering incorrectly.

Kevin