Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 05-13-04, 12:53 AM

Don Nieser is on a distinguished road
Dick Whitaker

I think I have most of Dick Whitaker's news letters. Have not looked at them for a few years but I think my stack is about 2 inches high. If someone would like to type, copy, etc. for everyone else I would loan them.
Don Nieser
405-722-4079
nieser.02.337parts@juno.com
Unread 01-23-05, 11:55 AM

KyleTownsend is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a vague recollection that I read (somewhere) that Scott got permission to distribute the Whittaker letters from the family, on the premise that he was going to continue the labor of love that Whittaker started. I also think he actually did continue to publish the Newsletter for a time. I may have gotten this from the last letter or two that was published by Whittaker's secretary after his death. I just can't remember.

Anyway, I think Scott is a great guy and always seems enthused to help out other Skymaster pilots. The original Whittaker letters are a valuable resource for 337 enthusiasts and the bulk of their content was actually contributed by other Skymaster pilots and industry folks. If Scott does actaully own an exclusive rights to the original letters, I can't imagine that he wouldn't be willing to work something out.

Anybody else have any recollections about all of this?
Unread 01-23-05, 01:43 PM

Mark Hislop is an unknown quantity at this point
If we were to get permission to reproduce them, or if there are other documents that we eventually want to make accessible on-line, I suggest scanning them and producing them in Acrobat Publisher (PDF files). With the free Acrobat Reader, users can view the pages in their original layout, and they can search within an individual document. Best of all there is no typing.

I have the ability to do this if the need arises, and would be happy to help.

It is also possible to convert the PDF files to MS word or text files, although any pictures or charts probably would not transfer.

Mark
Unread 01-23-05, 02:47 PM

docbob is an unknown quantity at this point
Newslatters

In response to Kyle's remarks: Scott did indeed continue the newsletters for some time after Dick's death but subsequently made a deal with the Cessna Pilot's Association to include the Skymaster stuff in their periodical. I lost track at that point.

To Mark: If anybody gets anything going it might be of interest that my complete set of the newsletters is now in Kevin's hands. And for anybody with a legal mind : No I did not make and keep copies!

Bob
Unread 01-23-05, 05:36 PM
Keven

Hmmmm.
________
Discount volcano vaporizer

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:09 PM.
Unread 01-23-05, 06:56 PM

kevin is on a distinguished road
Here's a repeat of a message earlier in this thread:

"I talked to Scott Smith today. Scott acquired the copyright to the newletters from the Whitaker family after Dick's death. He sells copies of the newletters through his web site, www.skysmith.com. He prefers not to grant permission to distribute the newletters as we have been discussing.

Kevin"

Kevin(again)
Unread 01-24-05, 05:25 PM

EZCOPE is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Dick Whitaker

Intertesting threads about Dick. I had the plaesure of spending a day with him 5/2/89. I also have most, if not all of his news letters, also I made a copy back then for Jan Churchhill who was supposed to write a book about Skymasters. She had a late model Skymaster then.

We talked a lot about Skymasters, and ostrages - he was into ostrage farming. He was a great loss to us.

Perhaps we can convince Skysmith to compromise a bit to get them published. I don't have his book, so don't know if he incorporated Dick's stuff into his Skymaster book.

Never say die!
Ed C.