Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 09-21-08, 08:56 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

GMAs is on a distinguished road
That section you refer to says "recommended", not "mandatory". It is not required for an annual inspection to accomplish to return to service.

What part of the "... for Contenued airworthness" is the manufacture saying its recommended? The FAA seems to think its required at their set inspection time...

As you can read in the manual its really a test to keep you from having a air emergency due to electrical failure. So it seems to me that its a safety item that rates right up their with oil and gas

But you as owner can do what you want... however, next time you get ramp checked and they ask for the airworthy cert because it wasn't done use the recommended instead of mandatory arguement and see if it works.

The new buz word is " for Contenued Airworthness... it shall be done...

Fly safe GMAs

I
Unread 09-21-08, 09:46 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

Tropical.... you need to go back and revisit the manual again.

That section you refer to does not say "recommended", not "mandatory". It is not required for an annual inspection to accomplish to return to service.

In the following section... of the manual that I posted for information.. I read it as....

7.7 CONTINUED AIRWORTHINESS DETERMINATION FOR GILL AIRCRAFT BATTERIES
7.7.1 To ensure continued airworthiness the battery should be removed and capacity tested. The recommended service period should initially be at 800 ± 50 hours or 11 ± 1 calendar month(s) whichever comes first. After the initial service, the

It also says for the book...

7.7.2 The airworthiness limitations section (noted in 7.7.1) is FAA approved and specifies maintenance required under Sections 43.16 and 91.403 of the Federal Aviations Regulations unless an alternative program has been FAA approved.

to suggest it is recommended maintenance? The way I read it.. it says maintenance required... means to me that its not "recommended" but rather mandatory.

The discharged battery may not be airworthy because it does not have the necessary capacity required to operate the aircraft avionics and electrical system in the event of generator (alternator) failure.

Hope this helps...

Fly safe GMAs

Pete...

to answer your question... on field voltages ... static non running engines...

would be the battery voltage.... when the master is turned on and the field ckt breakers are pushed on.... minus the 0.70 v. IR voltage drop across the blocking diode and a little for the wire IR lengths. thus you can do the math or should I ? (basically its the battery voltage minus 0.7 when measured at the field terminal

but,.... just because their are so many experts on here...

I just checked the alternator service manual for both the motorola alternators (of which this years plane had also) and the Ford's ... both agree the the field is energized with the battery voltage. (ya I know your going to say next the the Alt restart only has 4 C size bats which comes up with only 6 volts... but that is just a tickler if the battery is dead... you know that)

If you go to the maintenance manual Table 2 Ppg 7 it shows about how much they want their Gill bat charged at/set VRs too.

The Gill bat maintenance manual (make sure your reading the flooded cell (dry charge)one).... its a good manual and should be kept with the planes service information... best of all its free and you don't have to pay for it.

I am sure a lot of others would like to have the group get togeather agian and have the tech talk sessions like we had before. Maybe if we had time we could get togeather and have those smoker sessions togeather again.

Take care my friend
GMAs
Unread 09-21-08, 09:49 PM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Service bulletins are recommended too, but they are not mandatory either.

The FAA does not have a leg to stand on when they tell you that they are required. End of story.

Unless that battery was installed under an STC, is continued airworthiness required, and only if that was inserted in the major alteration form 337 on the back page.

If it is not specifically in FAR 43, Appendix D, the FAA can kiss my hiney, when it comes to the scope and detail of an annual inspection.

And George, your spelling has not improved with your absence. Please learn how to spell continued there is a difference between there and their.
Unread 09-21-08, 10:23 PM
George M. Amthor, Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymstr02 View Post
Service bulletins are recommended too, but they are not mandatory either.

The FAA does not have a leg to stand on when they tell you that they are required. End of story.

Unless that battery was installed under an STC, is continued airworthiness required, and only if that was inserted in the major alteration form 337 on the back page.

If it is not specifically in FAR 43, Appendix D, the FAA can kiss my hiney, when it comes to the scope and detail of an annual inspection.

And George, your spelling has not improved with your absence. Please learn how to spell continued there is a difference between there and their.
Gill .. the orginal equipment battery... is right on the cover of the book... hmmm ya think that its STC'd?

Only been at this game for only a few years...(35) so what do I know...

Oh and if your using FAR 43, Apdx D for your annuals.. ahhhh you need to go back and look up what 43 apdx D is for... as you may be kissing the FAA's hiney big time... last time I checked Cessna made the plane and supports it ... thus in the front of their service manual is this big old list of ting to do at annual time...(grin) ahhh sooo...

Battery ...STC, 337 form wow you all are too technical 4 me hre... head'n back to my brd
Unread 09-22-08, 07:52 AM
Ace of the Atmosphere

skymstr02 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAs View Post
Gill .. the orginal equipment battery... is right on the cover of the book... hmmm ya think that its STC'd?

Only been at this game for only a few years...(35) so what do I know...
AKKKKK, wrong, the original equipment batteries on all new Cessna's were Rebat batteries. Black cases with orange caps. I know, I worked at a Cessna dealership for a few years.

Gill wet cell batteries are PMA'd, sealed batteries are STC'd, which means that a form 337 is required.

I've been bending wrenches on airplanes since '71, so I do know what I'm talking about.
Unread 09-22-08, 09:43 AM

tropical is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
What part of the "... for Contenued airworthness" is the manufacture saying its recommended? The FAA seems to think its required at their set inspection time...

As you can read in the manual its really a test to keep you from having a air emergency due to electrical failure. So it seems to me that its a safety item that rates right up their with oil and gas

But you as owner can do what you want... however, next time you get ramp checked and they ask for the airworthy cert because it wasn't done use the recommended instead of mandatory arguement and see if it works.

The new buz word is " for Contenued Airworthness... it shall be done...

Fly safe GMAs

I
You are intentionally twisting the wording in this for your benefit. The service bulletin gives a "recommended" period for inspection, does not "require" it to be done at annual.

And yes, I'm an owner, and a A&P/IA.

Last edited by WebMaster : 09-23-08 at 09:25 AM.
Unread 09-22-08, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Tropical.... you need to go back and revisit the manual again.

That section you refer to does not say "recommended", not "mandatory". It is not required for an annual inspection to accomplish to return to service.

In the following section... of the manual that I posted for information.. I read it as....

7.7 CONTINUED AIRWORTHINESS DETERMINATION FOR GILL AIRCRAFT BATTERIES
7.7.1 To ensure continued airworthiness the battery should be removed and capacity tested. The recommended service period should initially be at 800 ± 50 hours or 11 ± 1 calendar month(s) whichever comes first. After the initial service, the

It also says for the book...

7.7.2 The airworthiness limitations section (noted in 7.7.1) is FAA approved and specifies maintenance required under Sections 43.16 and 91.403 of the Federal Aviations Regulations unless an alternative program has been FAA approved.

to suggest it is recommended maintenance? The way I read it.. it says maintenance required... means to me that its not "recommended" but rather mandatory.

The discharged battery may not be airworthy because it does not have the necessary capacity required to operate the aircraft avionics and electrical system in the event of generator (alternator) failure.

Hope this helps...

Fly safe GMAs
I have an excellent command of the english language (unlike you) and what you are attempting to do is twist the wording for your benefit (more billing $$$$).

I'll call my PMI today and ask him what he thinks of this. I already know the answer, but just for fun I'll run it by him.
Unread 09-22-08, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymstr02 View Post
AKKKKK, wrong, the original equipment batteries on all new Cessna's were Rebat batteries. Black cases with orange caps. I know, I worked at a Cessna dealership for a few years.

Gill wet cell batteries are PMA'd, sealed batteries are STC'd, which means that a form 337 is required.
You're correct, the Gill batteries are PMA'd, so they are covered under the Cessna MM.
Unread 09-22-08, 01:50 PM
Web Master

WebMaster is on a distinguished road
It's gone on enough.
I am closing this thread to further comment.
Closed Thread