Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 10-14-17, 07:15 AM

LostKiwi is on a distinguished road
I'm big on "the diet" as well. Over the years my plane had a few different radios, ADF's and whatnot installed in it.

Its pretty common for shops to run new wiring and just cap the old stuff, rather than spend the time to remove the old wiring. I've done half of my insti panel, gutted as much of the old stuff as possible. Removed old ADF systems, DME and other stuff that can be replaced with modern gear, and literally a box full of wiring.

My (calculated) change was about 21 lbs.

If you really wanted to save weight, the obvious solution would be to ditch the vacuum system, and go to a DC and/or Glass install. Then 3 bladed props. Then... then... then...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with the correct application of money.

Leighton
Unread 10-14-17, 04:42 PM
bigcheese

n86121 is on a distinguished road
Talking Radios and RSTOL

I have a turbo T337D with RSTOL.

I eventually replaced my factory original RT485 radios (I think that was the number), when one of the gears broke.

Each original 'radio' was actually just a head, which then connected each to its own radio in the avionics bay, each of those having its own power supply. I don't remember the number, but that pile of stuff weighed a lot when it came out.

With the Robertson STOL (which I have) you also have heavier gross takeoff and landing weight available than stock, by quite a bit. Need to double check but my gross takeoff is something like 4700 lbs and a hair less for landing.

I think my empty gross around 3k as well. I don't worry about it because the RSTOL kit gives you so much payload, and rock n roll short field and climb performance, it's simply not an issue.

I took off near gross only once, years ago, out of my 2665 runway, deep in a valley, on a warm summer day: Two adults, two kids, a huge afghan dog, two violins a cello, enough tiles to redo all the entire counter tops in our beach house kitchen, two 'hanging baskets' 30 lbs of dirt w my wife's flowers), our luggage, and yes, like the joke says, everything INCLUDING the (new) kitchen sink. It was HEAVY, but fine.
Fort Washington, MD 20744