Skymaster Forum  

Go Back   Skymaster Forum > Messages
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Unread 08-25-07, 10:33 PM

greg wilson is an unknown quantity at this point
leading with rear engine

I am in the process of purchasing my first skymaster. Most people recommend leading with rear engine on takeoff. What exactly does that mean? Full throttle on rear and then advance front etc.
Unread 08-25-07, 10:37 PM
Forum Administrator

hharney is on a distinguished road
Check your POH for procedure. Lead with the rear to be sure it is operating. There have been documented cases where pilots have just assumed that the rear is running and it was not. You don't have to use full throttle on the rear to know that you have it just lead with it to start and then follow with the front together.

Flying the same Skymaster for 47 years
Unread 08-25-07, 11:55 PM
Administrator

Ernie Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
It's not just theory, it's real. On my very last flight, taking off from a Bahamian out-island with my wife and daughter on board, the rear engine had quit between the time I did the pre-take-off checks (magnetos, etc.) and the time I took the active. Because I followed procedure, I noticed it.

Ernie
Unread 08-25-07, 11:56 PM
Keven

I have had the unfortunate experience of losing a rear engine / feathering prop during takeoff roll on more than one occasion. If you didn't lead with rear, it would be harder to realize the lack of / loss of power when it happens, unlike a conventional twin that yaws you to the dead side very quickly.

You don't have to go full throttle with the rear, just start bringing in power before the front, make sure it's producing power, and then bring them up together and watch your gauges to make sure they are coming up together. This will assure full power on both.

If nothing else, the apparent loss of power, at a minimum draws your attention to the gauges, and you find out how quickly training pays off by retarding throttles and getting on the brakes.

Keven
________
Gift Cards

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:24 PM.
Unread 08-26-07, 07:37 AM

brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Keven, I am curious, what do you think caused the rear engine to fail on takeoff "on more than one occasion" in your case?

By the way, I am hoping to become owner of a 65 model parked in your vicinity (Spartanburg) - soon.

Thanks;

Brian
Unread 08-26-07, 02:18 PM

dwbomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up

I thought I would put in my two cents...It is important to not only lead with the rear on your takeoff roll, but also scan your engines as well as your airspeed as you accelerate to rotate. You want to be positive that you are getting full power from both engines..

Brian, congrats on your decision to get a skymastyer.. Living in New Mexico, I really really think you should consider a turbo model. Cessna added the turbos starting in 67. I just happen to have a 67 Turbo model for sale here in Denver cause I recently bought a 74P model. Call me if you want to talk about it . JIM 303-503-6220 It has great avionics and I will sell it for book..
Unread 08-27-07, 10:45 AM
Keven

My issues were related to a bad main bearing that allowed too much oil pressure to leak past it once the oil got hot, and thus, low oil pressure in the engine = low oil pressure in the prop governor = feathered prop.

It was a very unpleasant and costly situation which required the removal of the engine, splitting the case, new VAR crank, etc. But, we do it because we love it!

Like many things in my life, it was an extremelyl rare situation. . . . blah, blah, blah!

Keven
________
Motorcycle Tires

Unread 08-27-07, 06:31 PM

brian is an unknown quantity at this point
Keven, sorry to kinda change the subject. Could you recommend someone for a prebuy around there. The fellow in Spartanburg is covered up - and I did not really want to use the place in Greenville since they did the annuals. I have a shop in Carrollton GA as a possible - they are highly reccomended in another post.

Thank you - and I apologize to all for changing the subject here.

Brian
Unread 09-02-07, 11:35 AM
Keven

Pre-Buy

Brian:

Yes, Spartanburg is covered up right now, and I understand your concerns about the other shop. I have heard nothing but good things about Carrollton and that they have a wealth of knowledge about 337s. However, I have never heard what shop rates were and other cost considerations. If the $ considerations line up, then I would feel comfortable with the Carrollton shop because of the reputation of their extensive experience with 337s.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I haven't been on the board for awhile.

Keven
________
VAPIR OXYGEN

Unread 09-04-07, 06:49 PM

stackj is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to stackj
Where have all the 'Kev(ei)ns' gone?
Unread 09-04-07, 06:53 PM
Keven

Jim/Jenny:

You don't write or send flowers any more, so my feelings were hurt.

I've been busy down south.

Allie and I missed you two in the Bahamas.

KevEn
________
Wendie 99

Last edited by Keven : 04-23-11 at 05:25 PM.